help me before I loose my mind with mmy 5 year old, her mouth and not wanting to listen.

Before you start bashing I do disipline her, but latley she has been having a mouth on her like no other. For example one day she asked me for candy I told her to hold on and then she was like I said I want some candy. Then one day she was playing over at the neighbors and I guess she wouldn't help her DD clean up the mess she helped make so her mom told her she can't come over nomore because she doesn't know how to clean she also proseded to tell her (I don't agree with how she tol her) that is she doesn't learn to pick up her mess she will get a detention when she starts kindergarden in the fall. My DD does know how to pick up and not sure why she wouldn't there, but I did disipline her for that as well. Then I am watching my nephew today he is 2 next month he was running on the couch I went to get him down then she started (5) jumping on the couch because he was running on it. What the heck what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• My SD was very mouthy/demanding when I first met her. She didn't even know about the words, please or thank you, nor how to ASK for something instead of literally barking orders at adults. I'd be mid sentence in a conversation & she'd come & tell me, "I want Milk". I'd tell her one moment, while I finished what I was saying, & she would say, "GET IT FOR ME NOW!" I won't lie, I wanted to slap that attitude right outta her mouth, but I ignored that impulse & would be cool & firm. "Nope... If you can ask nicely, I'll get it for you." She would cry & throw a fit, so I'd tell her, "Go to your room until you're done crying. When you can ask nicely, MAYBE I'll get it for you, if you don't ruin it for yourself now" I did that anytime she'd cry to get her way, & she learned pretty quick. Be calm, but RESOLUTE.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• it is supose to be the other way around the youngest follows the oldest in this case she follows the younger ones I have a 2.5 year old and my 5 year old is always trying to do what the toddler is doing even though she knows it is wrong
    Anonymous

• Um....

Hand meet butt....

it's as simple as that.  You have to be tough.  You have to use discipline every time she does something wrong.  Don't wait until it's too late.  You have to be firm and you have to make sure they understand YOU ARE IN CONTROL not them.

Anonymous

• In that kind of situation, you have to have set punishments for certain rules broken. She runs on the couch, she can't sit on the furniture the rest of the day. She won't put her toys away, you pick them up, box them up and put them away. No toys to play with, no toys to need put up. If she can't follow the rules at a friend's home, she shouldn't go to anyone's home. She's testing you, and every time she sees you give in, she'll go further. Stop it while it just starting.
    It may seem harsh, but if it's not stopped, then it'll just get worse.
    I've known people to totally strip a kids room of everything but the mattress and make them earn it all back piece by piece with good behavior.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• It sounds like there are inconsistent policies at your house. Your children are old enough to know what the consequences are for poor behavior and what that rewards are for good behavior.

Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort is a wonderful book. You can learn more at her website: http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Make sure they are eating and sleeping well. My kids behaved badly when those 2 things were not in place (lots of good homemade food and no junk).....Next, be firm. If they mouth off, then you let them know what the consequence is, and follow through....every time. It's exhausting at first, but works best in the long run...I do feel for you....
    Anonymous

I do have that I put my 5 year old to bed at 8pm, but we go through every single night having probelms getting her to go to and staying in bed she will come down stairs asking for this and that I am yelling at her telling her to stay in bed I give her a spanken she wont finally fall asleep half the time until midnight, but if DH and I go up to bed at like9 she is right to bed. It is like she doesn't want to miss out on what we are doing down stairs
    Anonymous