what do athiests believe in?

I don't wish to anger anyone, but if you don't believe in God than what do you think of or believe in?
Every word that ever came from my Mother's mouth was, "so help me God", when I grew up. She even has this big thing about prayers.
How is life for an athiest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe in anything. No god, no devil, no heaven, no hell, no miracles. Babies come from two people having sex (or from a dr.'s office), people die, both young and old, shit happens, both good and bad. When you die, you are either burned or buried (although I know a guy who wants to be stuffed and sat on the couch, to each his own I guess).
    A person doesn't have to believe in anything. I live my life, follow the law of where I live, and try to make decisions that will enable me to sleep soundly at night. I only answer to myself, not some mythical being that was written about in some book. I don't live in fear of not making it to a magical "happy place" if I misbehave.
    For me, life is great. I have a few friends that I love like family, some family I'd rather not have, a wonderful husband, daughter and in-laws (some of them anyway). My life wouldn't be any better if I followed the herd of sheep and believed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Atheists believe in:
    themselves
    science
    physical evidence
    love
    peace
    friendship
    harmony
    family...

The only thing they DON'T believe in is a higher power.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Why do people HAVE to believe in a higher being? Why can't they simply believe in themselves. Personally, I've always kinda been jealous of Atheists. I can't bring myself to not believe in the Gods, I see to much proof of their existence. But I would love to have no reason to believe. I would love to have such a great belief in myself, in others and in the understanding that good and evil are just parts of who we are, they aren't caused by some higher beings who may or may not be pulling the strings. I think believing in higher beings in some ways lowers our ability to take responsibility for our actions and the actions of those around us. It just easier to blame God or the devil or some other force. While Atheists don't have those options, they have to face reality for what it is... I don't know that one is better than the other, but I can definitely see the benefits to not believing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Atheists are just people who do not think there is a god(s). Other than that, they are just like you... the 'life of an atheist' is just like the life of anyone else except they don't believe in god(s.)

Dh is an atheist... he loves his family, likes movies, video games, fishing at the cottage, all the typical guy stuff. He just doesn't believe in a god or god concept or afterlife.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My life is good. The kids are happy we do things together as a family, only real differenc is the time you spend in church is time I would use to take the kids to the zoo, park, library, or to go help at food banks or other charities.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think that Atheists believe in SOMETHING, maybe not God, but something. I think it's foolish not to believe in anything, because then tell me how the world got here?!

I think A LOT of people are in for a rude awakening when they die and realize that God is real, and Heaven and Hell are real, and the majority of the people will die and go to Hell, and realize that it's real, and by then...it'll be too late. So sad to me, really, really sad.
    Anonymous

• I believe in myself.  What more do I need? 

I never could see the point of prayer.  Why do you pray? 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• definition of atheist: a believe that there is NO God.

that's it. That doesn't mean they don't have other beliefs. In all honesty a Buddhist could be considered an atheist.

That doesn't mean every atheist doesn't believe in an afterlife, or a more spiritual world, etc etc etc. It simply means they don't believe in a God. Plain and simple. That doesn't mean they don't have morals, or values, or have a believe in anarchy (which I see many trying to confuse anarchy with atheism).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• "I think that Atheists believe in SOMETHING, maybe not God, but something. I think it's foolish not to believe in anything, because then tell me how the world got here?!"

as I said, we don't believe in GOD!!!. As for how the world got here.. pick on of the hundreds of scientific explanations available out there.. some obviously more popular in opinion than others.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Friendship, humanity, love, education, respect, etc. Pretty much my life is the same as yours(or anyone's really) minus the praying, church, and God.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2010