On homosexuality and relationships....

First, please excuse me if I come across as ignorant....but what I am is a concerned mom and am asking an honest question here: Do the majority of homosexual men live a promiscuous lifestyle? I ask because I am raising a son who may grow up to be gay. I know it isn't for certain (he's 9) yet, but he has always been feminine. I am very conservative and believe in monogamy and chastity....I am realistic enough to realize he is going to make his own decisions, but want to know if I am being naive in teaching him moral conservative values about relationships (chastity and exclusive relationships, family, etc.) I don't have anyone I can ask and frankly I am worried about what his future is going to be like...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• My dad was gay and he wasn't promiscuous. He believed in monogamy. I have gay friends who are monogamous. Promiscuity isn't derived from being gay, it's from not feeling loved and secure. If you make him feel secure and loved for who he is he'll be fine in relationships.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No, being gay doesn't mean being promiscuous. There are very many very exclusive, very committed gay couples out there. Probably less promiscuous than a lot of straight men and women, really.
    Anonymous

• I totally understand your question and concern-either gay or straight promicuity isnt ok!
    I think to answer you, no all gay folk are not crazy out there and promiscuous, not at all. I mean look at relationships between men and women around you....just families right, or just people? it is the same for homosexual people...personalites are different.
    good luck mama, and I know you will love him gay straight, sideways. lol
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• It depends on the person and how they are raised, straight or gay. Teach him that you believe in one partner and hope that he learns that.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No, not all gay men are promiscuous. Not even most. Just like heterosexuals, there are promiscuous people. I have many gay friends who are in long term monogamous relationships. His future will be fine as long as you stay open-minded, and I think you are by asking about this instead of just being in denial or rejecting him. He may be heterosexual. You never know. I also have happily married straight guy friends who I assumed were gay when I first met them. Some guys do seem more effeminate but aren't necessarily gay. Above all, I'm sure you just want a happy child, so just keep loving him. :)
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Just because your son seems "feminine" doesn't mean anything. My DH always played with the girls, always acted girly... You know why? He was a pervert at age 5 and was just trying to be around girls! My friend has a 9 year old who insists on cross dressing when he goes to the farmers market.... It's because there is a little girl at the farmers market whose attention he is trying to get.

Kids have weird motives. Don't read into anything too much. If your son knows your family values and trusts you, then you will both get through puberty and the sex talk and come out fine.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No
    Anonymous