Help! Lactating Issue is Freaking Me Out!

I don't think I'm pregnant - I don't see how I could be. I'm currently on my cycle, like, right now. But I keep lactating this sticky, clear substance from my boobs.

WHAT IS THIS? I'm getting a little worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Health

• You need to contact your OB/Gyn. You have high prolactin levels. I've been through this before. High prolactin was the cause of my infertility for 6 years and we didn't know it until I noticed the little wet spots in my bra.

There are 3 main causes for high prolactin levels:
    1) Stress - (This was my cause.) You have to be extremely stressed out, very type A for stress to raise your prolactin enough to lactate.

2) Pituitary Tumor - This is the most common cause for high prolactin levels. The tumor can be surgically removed through a minimally evassive surgery done through your nose.

3) Pot - Smoking pot regularly can cause high prolactin levels.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Have you already had a baby?

I still produced colostrum when my son was 2 and he stopped breast feeding when he was 5 months old. My daughter is 10 months old and stopped breastfeeding at 5 months too and I still produce colostrum.

I notice it the most when I have my period and when I'm having a hot shower.

It's normal and it comes with hormone changes.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I still produce milk, no colostrum. I stopped breastfeeding at six months. At my last pap they said they were going to check my levels and give me a shot but never did. I think you're ok but you should probably get it checked out.

I'm kinda worried now because of what Thriving Mom said about it causing infertility.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• It's not milk, I know that. It's clear and sticky. And it's only coming from one boob. I've had really irregular periods lately, so maybe there is something out of whack hormonally.

It's still creeping me out - knowing I won't get any answers to my questions from a doctor 'til Monday.
    Anonymous

• My best friend leaked colostrum years before she ever had a child. She had a thyroid problem and that was her only symptom. She's taken thyroid medication now for the last 10 years.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Also as Thrivingmom mentioned, high prolactin could cause it. Sometimes high prolactin happens for no definite in someone who has already had a child. I had my first baby at 23, nursed until I was 24, and then tried at 25 to get pregnant. I was having problems getting/staying pregnant and I found out that it was because of high prolactin and low progesterone. My hormones never really went back to normal after my first baby, even though it was two years later. I didn't have any leaking colostrum though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Not to scare you, but if it is only one breast, there is always the slight possibility that it is cancer or an infection. Whether there is something wrong with that breast or just quirky with your hormones, either way you should call your dr. Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2010