Potty Training?

My daughter just turned 14 months yesterday but we have started potty training. She goes at night after dinner in her potty and this morning she went poop for the first time. I'm just not sure how to take it to the next step. Ive been trying to time it right so she pretty much instantly goes once I sit her on it. Any advice how to step it up. ( The reason i'm starting her early is that 1. my husband is deploying in 2 months 2. were moving so I know she will probably regress from what ive been told)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say, having done early potty-training, that keep in mind that there will be a lot of regressions as she reaches new milestones. Pretty much you are waiting for the convergence of her planning skills ("I need to walk to the potty or I'll pee myself"), social awareness ("I don't want to make a mistake"), and physical ability ("I can hold it until I get to the potty"). That can happen at one but it often doesn't happen until around 18 months (esp. the planning part). So keep the pressure off- the last thing you need is a power struggle. I'd suggest taking her after all naps and sleeps, using a signal (we make a pee sound- pssss), and using tons of encouragement. Give her lots of diaper free time even if that means you're wiping up with a Clorox wipe for those hours and you have to newspaper your carpet. But most of all be patient. You can't force it. It's like eating: you provide the opportunity, she decides.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 4:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think the above advice is great. What we started doing around 15 months with our second (she has a big sister only 15 months older than she, so she was interested), is putting her on at regular times of the day -- not intervals, but after meals, after snacks, before and after any sleep... At first she didn't go too much (and we never had her sit there for extended periods of time), but little by little, she started using the potty, especially pooping there. By 16.5 months, she wasn't ever pooping in her diaper anymore (unless we didn't get her to the potty at the usual time, which is why we tried to be really diligent about it). Once we started getting more "hits," we started doing time with no diaper while at home. She usually peed on the floor, but we'd move her to the potty to remind her that's where it goes. Around 18 months we just made the switch. It really took her until about 20 months to do it on her own.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2010