Why do people choose really popular names?

Sorry this sounds snarky, but I'm genuinely curious. I don't mean that everyone has to choose off-the-wall names, but seriously? Another Kayden/Cayden/Kaiden/Caidin/whatever? Another Isabella? Why not Hayden and Mirabelle? Why? Sorry to all the moms of Caydens. It's a nice name. Just a little overused at this point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They are called popular names for a reason. LOL
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 5:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I would guess that it's just because they really like the name, or it is a family name that the parents use to honor someone.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My favorite name has always been Ashley because it was the name of my Godmother who I ADORE. That's why I named my daughter Ashley. I don't care how popular it is, I didn't choose it based on its popularity. I chose it because I love it.
    And my second daughter is Jayden. It's also popular at the moment but it's hubby's favorite. We love those names! And I think it's better than some parents messing up the spelling. Like, why make you Ashley- Ashlee? Or you Michaella- Mikhaela? That's just weird.
    Anonymous

• It might have some sentimental meaning for them. It might be a name they wanted for their baby ever since they were little, and now it happens to be popular. It could be a special family name.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

It's me and I accidentally hit anon..! :P
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Sometimes it's just a coincidence.

My oldest is Emma. Emma just happened to be the #1 girl name that year. I didn't choose it because it was popular. I was an English teacher and named her after Jane Austen's "Emma."

My middle child is Noah. Another top 10 name. We didn't pick it because it was popular. I named him after the Noah in the Bible.

My 3rd child is Hannah. While this is a hugely popular name, I first fell in love with it back in 1989 as a 12 year old girl. I had a teacher that named his daughter Hannah after the Hannah in the Bible. I thought it was beautiful and always knew I'd some day have a Hannah of my own. My husband vetoed the name on the first daughter, but gave in on our second.

We also chose each of these names because they don't have nicknames. I love the name Madeline, but DH didn't want people calling her Maddy. Emma, Noah, and Hannah aren't typically shortened to a nickname.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• some of us *coughmecough* had no idea that their child's is popular...it kinda depends on your area too. like where I'm from, Dakota (my son's name) is kinda unique. ok at least i should say, i never heard it before, except for Dakota Fanning (which i seriously had forgotten about her until after we named him) BUT i got a reality check, when DS was 6wks old we got stationed in Tn, where i ended up with 3 neighbors who's kids name were Dakota.

as for Savannah, i knew people used it, i just didn't realize how popular it was...but i was in love with the name so that's what it was. better than the original name i was going to do...which was Candance, was going to use the nickname Candy...but then i realized that's too much of a stripper name lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I picked popular/traditional names (Madison, Joshua, Alexander) because mine was so untraditional (Sharina). i swore my kids would never have to tell others how to pronouce their names.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• i chose nevaeh b/c i loved it when i heard it at age 17... it wasnt so popular til she was born 3 yrs later...

my cousin chose ryan b/c that was her favorite boy name and she adopted him so i let her name him...

and dh chose becky (if i had my way she'd be phoenix or lyric b/c i think they're beautiful) b/c of his aunt becky...
    myangelnevaeh

Answer by myangelnevaeh at 5:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010