my 8 year old was just diagnosed with adhd...

i have been having problems since she was 3. i am trying to decide what to do. should i use the pills the phyciatrist prescribes or try the natural things like fish oils and the whole diet change. what has worked best for other moms of adhd children?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 5:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I tried the other things first but didn't have any luck. I recently read a study that said only 5% of children are helped through diet. It is worth a try but don't feel too badly if it doesn't work. She is now 10 and we will be trying a medication over the summer to see if it helps.

We tried the fiengold diet. You can look it up online but you have to pay a fee to get the food lists. I think it was$75-80 a year.
    Anonymous

• My dd has my grandson on meds. I hate that. I wish she had tried the natural way first. The good news is that she only has to put him on the meds on school days (school requires it or they send him home). So at least he's not on it all the time. I just spent a week babysitting him (10) and he was fine at home but was terrible out in public so we didn't go out unless necessary.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• If you are worry about the side effects you don't have to since the doctor will performp periodically laboratory tests to know if the drugs are working or not. ADHD drugs are supposed to "balance hormones". Your doctor can guide you better though the process. If the drugs don't work which the same doctor will talk to you about alternatives for treatment.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 5:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Try natural first and see what happens.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Lab tests can't determine if the drugs are working or not. They only determine if the drugs are damaging internal organs. The only way to determine if the drugs are working are by assessing the child's behavior. Traditional ADHD drugs don't effect hormones. They stimulate the brain to help it function better. I don't know if some of the newer drugs effect hormones. I've never heard of that, but I'm not up to date on what's come out in the last few years.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Try to change he diet first, but stick with it for some time. You would't see diference in a day or two. Plus all natural thigs.
    I have a friend who help her son with SEVERe autism A LOT witout any single pill.
    Try homeopathy as well.

Good lack, and try not to stress, you'll see improvements soon !
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 11:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2010