US schools switching to 4-day weeks to save money amid sluggish economy

Peach County is one of more than 120 school districts across the country where students attend school just four days a week, a cost-saving tactic gaining popularity among cash-strapped districts struggling to make ends meet. The 4,000-student district started shaving a day off its weekly school calendar last year to help fill a $1 million budget shortfall.It was that or lay off 39 teachers the week before school started, said Superintendent Susan Clark.

The FLIP side...The school district in Marlow, Okla., is switching back to a five-day week after administrators decided students were not being served well by attending school only four days. The 440-student district tried the shorter week the spring semester this year to save $25,000 in operation costs. "It was harder on the teachers. We were asking the kids to move at a quicker pace," said district Superintendent Bennie Newton. "We're hoping the four-day week won't com

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Our school district is considering it and I support the idea. I spent several months on a committee studying the issue. I was skeptical at first, but after a lot of research done by more than 30 people and personally visiting 2 school districts with 4 day weeks, I am now a supporter.

The unions are the single biggest problem our school district faces. They wouldn't budge on salary last year and the school district ended up firing 50 teachers..making the average class size between 30 and 40 kids.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I am a SAHM so it doesnt make a great deal of difference for me but I wonder about working moms and such. Do you think this would be a positive or a negative?? How would it affect you?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/04/schools-switching-day-weeks-save-money-amid-sluggish-economy/?test=latestnews

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Hmmm...depends on the age group maybe. HIgh school kids and Jr. High kids could probably handle four days without much difference. In college you only go one or two days a week anyway...and they are old enough to handle a faster schedule. Young kids I don't know. Those who have special needs or don't catch on as quickly may struggle, but then again...that would be time for the parents to step in and help with school work over the weekend. I think if that was done, meaning the parents pitching in with the child's education, it would be a good thing until budgets were back up to par. Or even better, once the budgets are better and money is less tight...the savings could go toward hiring additional teachers to lower class sizes and give students more individual attention, thus making up for fewer days per week. Long shot, I know.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Wouldn't EVER want the teacher's unions, or the cafeteria workers SEIU or the maintenance unions to take a pay cut. No, we'll just cut back on the student's education. Oh yeah, and let's hire MORE teachers at more union salaries paying more dues. We have the most expensive educational system in the world yet we rank so poorly on actual education.
    360

Answer by 360 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• 360 what states are actually HIRING MORE TEACHERS? I live in Illinois, and it is estimated that 17,000 teachers/staff members have NO JOB this coming school year. There are lay offs and budget cuts happening ALL OVER THE PLACE here.

Anonymous

• 2 School districts does not the US make.
    Anonymous

• Anon :01....did ya NOT read the FIRST line?

Peach County is one of more than 120 school districts across the country where students attend school just four days a week

They arent gonna quote someone from ALL 120.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think 4 day school weeks is a HORRIBLE idea. In all aspects, hard on the kids, hard on the staff at school, and hard on the parents. It's just a stupid idea.
    Anonymous

• See special THATS just CRAZY! My DH job cut hrs (thus pay) and widened the circle from 50 mi to 100 miles from home to job site to qualify for per Diem. They did this so they wouldn't have to lay people off! And you know what......we were GRATEFUL. A job with a pay cut is better than NO job! I would BET those 50 people would agree!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• See special THATS just CRAZY! My DH job cut hrs (thus pay) and widened the circle from 50 mi to 100 miles from home to job site to qualify for per Diem. They did this so they wouldn't have to lay people off! And you know what......we were GRATEFUL. A job with a pay cut is better than NO job! I would BET those 50 people would agree

**********
    this.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2010