Whole Food Diet?

I am really wanting to convert my family's diet to one based around whole and natural foods, but I am busy (school, work) with two young kids, and with a pretty tight grocery budget. I'm looking for any helpful info on how to get this going. Success stories would be great, as well as if there's a CM group for this. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Health

• Do a search on CM to find a group or create one of your own
    Anonymous

• (OP)I tried a search and didn't find anything specific to whole foods. I was wondering if there was one that maybe had a forum for it. It wouldn't do any good to create one of my own since I don't know a whole lot about it. Thanks for being so helpful.....
    Anonymous

• Look into freezer cooking, which is preparing & packaging your own meals for later consumption. When you put together the meals yourself, you can control the ingredients, so if you have favorite recipes that freeze well, simply replace unhealthy ingredients with healthier ones (ie...white rice with brown rice). You can even plan your meals around what's on sale at the store that week, so you save money while eating well. Eat in season and your fresh ingredients will be cheaper, too. Prepare meals in bulk all in one day, then package in individual or family size portions. To get started, you'll need to prepare a variety of meals at first, but then as you collect more meals in your freezer, you can start making only one or two different meals each week to add to your stash.

There's a book, "Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer" that you can learn how to do freezer cooking from, then adapt as you get used to preparing meals.
    Anonymous

• one thing we do is cook or grill 10-12 pounds of chicken and have it in the refrigerator for salads. also the day i go grocery shopping i chop up the greens and put them in the fridge. i do the same with all of the toppings too. so there is lunch for a week, very quick and ready to go.
    i usually do a stirfry a week too. also very quick and easy. for the kids i just use lemon juice and soy sauce for flavor.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• daniellecooks.wordpress.com

plenty of quick and budget meals. Just stop buying food from boxes and cans. period. No boxes no cans. Only food.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Stock your freezer with chopped vegetables. On the weekends cook brown rice, quinoa, pasta, dried beans and lentils to use during the week.

Here are meals we eat on a regular basis. Send me a message if you would like any recipes:

No hurry curry
    sweet and sour cabbage rolls
    taco salad
    minestrone soup, salad
    General Tsao’s tofu
    stuffed peppers
    chili and cornbread
    sweet potato and black bean burritos
    Halloween black and orange quesadillas
    black bean soup, quesadillas, avocado salad
    not crab cakes, tofu fish sticks, baked sweet potato “fries”
    dairy-free nachos
    tamale bean pie
    Mexican bean and pasta bake
    white chili
    Stovetop lentil sloppy joes
    Tofu and spinach curry
    Lentil soup
    stew with dumplings
    lentil tacos
    Pot pie
    zucchini enchiladas
    Mediterranean Vegetable stew with poached eggs
    Stirfry
    homemade

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• squashed macaroni, peanut noodles, blueberry oatmeal pancakes, slowcooker lentil sloppy joes, Southwest Falafel

Here are groups you may find helpful: http://www.cafemom.com/group/34886 http://www.cafemom.com/group/91318

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2010