Breast pumping question.

I am expecting my second son the end of July. So I just got a brest pump and the lady who sold it to me said I can pump one side while my baby nurses on the other.I'm wondering if then since both breasts are mostly emptied, can I feed the pumped milk at the next feeding? So I would only really have to bf every four hours instead of two? I know that the first two weeks this probably is not an option because I need to build up my suply and establish good bf habits, ie avoid nipple confusion. I breast fed my other son and remember how difficult and exhausting it was the first couple of months and am just looking to make it a little easier on myself this time without sacrificing any of the bennifets of bf to my baby. I would appreciate any tips anyone has to make it a little easier. Thanks!

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doing that will diminish your supply. It takes more than 2 weeks to build a supply and establish good feeding habits. I was told by my consultant not to pump for the first few months ( I ended up never pumping with either child).
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Thank you for that info but I would really like some advise from somone who has used their breast pump successfully.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I did pump, but not like that. I always pumped for 5-10 minutes after the baby nursed. It built up a supply for baby for when I went back to work part time. I agree that it will take longer than 2 weeks to completely establish your supply. And who knows, you may have a sleepy baby who only wants to nurse every 3-4 hours.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I pump for work. If you miss a feed you should pump, so you won't be saving time. If you skip feeds you can set yourself up for supply problems. Breasts, once they reach "full" send biofeedback to decrease production, and the less nipple stimulation by baby the less milk. A pump is just not an adequate substitute for what a baby can do--some women can pump easily, for most its a tightrope walk.. Also, learn to pump effectively:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html   so you can drain your breasts with the pump as much as you can.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• First of all, I highly recomend joining a breastfeeding group here on CM. They can provide you with all sorts of information.
    Second, unless you really NEED to, I dont recomend pumping for the first 6 weeks or so. Get a good BF relationship established..
    Finally pumping for the next feeding, will not work. This will destroy your supply. Any pumped milke is for baby when you are not there (and off somewhere else pumping to tell your body to keep making milk.) It's really a lot easier to just nurse. You can get slings and wraps so that you can go about doing what you need to do while baby gets to nurse to hes/her little hearts content.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I agree with the PP that you will be better off if you EBF for at least 6 weeks. "make it a little easier on myself this time without sacrificing any of the bennifets of bf to my baby" Well, if you pump and bottle feed baby is not getting all of the benefits. Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)
    Plus, my experience is that it was way more work to pump then to just let baby nurse frequently.
    I had to pump at first w/ my LO who was in the NICU and it was a huge pain. I ended up with an oversupply, constant plugged ducts etc. Try going to a La Leche League meeting!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I pump once a day, every day. After the second nursing in the morning I wait about an hour and pump both breasts. Most of this gets stored as I am a SAHM and my dd really only plays with her cups and absolutely refuses bottles. But this has been a very effective system for me. Also, I didn't start pumping until she was 2 months old. If you don't have to, I wouldn't recommend starting with a pump until your milk is well established. If you do it too soon it will make things like engorgement worse.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Well I guess I was right lol. Since I do know a little about breastfeeding after EBF two children for over a year each. Silly me.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I pumped and nursed because I worked full time; we did this for 23 months. Freeze what you pump, so you can get a night out.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I didn't mean to insult laciD. Just wanted to know if there were any other options.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010