ARGH!!! Pointless math!!!

Okay, so I'm going back to school and I'm taking my college math classes and feel like banging my head into the wall! Why, oh, why do I need to learn imaginary friggin' numbers??? I'm not going to school to be an engineer or a mathematician, which are the only jobs I can think of that would EVER use imaginary numbers. So why does EVERYONE have to learn them and all their uselessness??? ARGH!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in

• Sounds like a journal entry vent, not a real question
    Anonymous

• I feel you!!! I hate math too. :(
    That was my biggest problem when I attended colleges classes to.
    Take a deep breath...don't give up and start from the beginning! Get a fresh new outlook on it.
    Go beat up a pillow. Write a curse you letter to the math professor! (but don't really mail it! lol...tear it up and throw it away when your done)
    Don't let the numbers beat you...you beat the numbers. There just numbers anyway, right? Shoot. Numbers don't have muscles. Outsmart them! LOL
    If all else fails...do what I did...get a math tutor,lol

Good Luck and hang in there!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• i had to take college algebra last semester online and i dreaded it and i frealized it was easier teaching myself at my own pace. then it got hard and second guessed my self but it turned out really good in the end. i had to take it because i never did the first time i went to school. so i needed it for physics. their are alot of majors that need it besides engineers. but you will be alright. if i can get through it anyone can. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• these math courses are not just about math. It's about training you to think...whether it's memorization, or learning steps to take, or working logically all math is not just about arithmetic. I tutored math and I can't think of one single reason why we have to talk about imaginary numbers, lol...
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Here is what my brother explained to my son about how algebra IS used in real life. You may not use the actual algebra in real life but you DO use the process. Algebra is about using a formula or process to solve a problem and what is life? Life is a problem that needs a formula or problem to solve. When we solve a problem in life, we use a process. We don't just solve the problem. We go through steps to solve the problem. We figure out the problem, we come up with options to solve the problem, we take steps to solve the problem and we come to a solution. What happens when you do an algebraic equation? My son (and I) see algebra in a whole new light.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• lambdarose, I already have my physics credits, so I won't be needing it for that. I remember doing it all in high school, and it wasn't that it was necessarily hard, it's just annoying because I know that I will never use that stupid little "i" again.

tyfry, I can understand that in a way, but not to the extent that you have it. Maybe it's just the way my brain works, but problem solving comes pretty easily to me. I just hate having to memorize concepts that will have no use to me once I'm in the working world.
    Anonymous

• That is why I never went to college. I am math aphobic! I had straight A and was in honor classes, but that math was brutal ...
    Anonymous

• Lmao!!! I don't know. I'm on the same boat, but I'm taking the remedial classes first. It's kinda embarassing because right now I'm doing PreAlgebra and my 8 & 9yr old know how to do it. Which is weird because this is what I was learning in the 9th grade. Damn I feel old and stupid!
    yolandasix

Answer by yolandasix at 2:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010