2 1/2 year old grinds teeth and also chews on shirt alot

Just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about?

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 6:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like sensory issues. Offer hard, crunchy foods or other acceptable chew items, something like Chewy Tubes (google it) or "Ps & Qs" (google it).
    Anonymous

• My dd's both grind their teeth at night and the 4yr old is one to chew on her sleeve or any small toy she has in her hands while we are in the car or if she's watching a movie or something. I have TMJ and I grind mine too (I've worn a mouth splint to sleep for years). My aunt is our dentist and says that most kids grow out of it. A small percentage do it because of stress but most are just doing it because they are getting used to molars and might still have itchy gums at 2 1/2. You might want to ask a dentist, to make sure her teeth are straight and she hasn't broken or chipped one that's causing her discomfort. They probably wouldn't do a hard mouth splint so young, but if you can get her to wear a sports mouth guard to sleep it might help stop sensitive teeth from bothering her (hasn't worked for my dd yet, since she takes it out and puts it on her nightstand all the time).
    Anonymous