stuttering preschooler....... tips to help him???

my son is 4 yrs old.... a couple of months ago i started noticing a little stuttering.... but over time it has gotten worse..... he stutters in every sentence.... i am trying to get professional help for him, but i need advice, or tips on how to help him here at home..... please help me help him.... =)

SQ13

Asked by SQ13 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't ever stop him mid-sentence to correct him, or it might just make him feel bad. Tell him that if there's something he wants to say that won't come out right, take a deep breath and count 1-2-3 in his head, then say it slowly. My little brother stuttered for a while in elementary school and it took some concentration for him to get over it.
    Anonymous

• my son would stutter almost age 4 i think it was because he would be so excited to tell me something. I would stop him and tell him to slow down and think about what he wants to say and tell me slowly. It did help a lot.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Looks like we are going through the same thing right now.. It is so frusterating & with my daughter being aware that she is stuttering,she is becoming frusterated and angry at times... I am becoming concerned and I am trying to get a speech therapy evaluation approved right now! All I can think is I already have ! special needs child and cant handle another... I am at my wits end with this issue!
    mamaChris81

Answer by mamaChris81 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2010