Cloth diapers??

What's the best cloth diapers?
Which ones have you tried & what issues did you have with the ones you didn't like?

**Doing baby registry, I would prefer not to go through all the wrong ones before I find the good ones...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are a few sites that sell sampler packs so you can try a couple of each.
    jilliansdrawers.com and greenmountaindiapers.com are 2 that come to mind. You can also find great deals on diaperswappers.com (you have to register with a username, and there are forums with lots of FAQs and advice. They also have a buy/sell/trade section so you can buy used items (clean of course) so you don't shell out a ton of $ for something that might not work for you. Each baby is built differently and will fit certain brands better than others. My DDs were skinny things, so we liked prefolds with a snappi and bummis covers best because they are so adjustable - you just fold or scrunch them to fit.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• It's a matter of opinion and preference. You should join the cloth diapering mamas group for much more info.

I use prefolds and old fashioned flats with thirsties covers. In my opinion not only are they the most economical and versatile, but they are also the easiest to launder and take care of. They also contain breastfeed poop exceptionally well. We've never had a leaking problem or a blow out in 8 1/2 months of use. Thirsties duos fit my slender baby the bests, but there are lots of brands.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I'm already a member of cloth diapering mamas, but I'm not getting anywhere there... I'm not 100% loving the idea of cloth diapers, but if it would save me money and I can get them for nothing through friends, it would be could be the best option... All I've gotten from that group was propaganda... No real advice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• From diaperswappers, you might get some of that propaganda stuff too, it depends who you talk to. Treat it like a buffet - only take the advice you think will work for you and leave the rest. Some moms make up elaborate washing routines and stuff so they can play diaper martyr, but really, it's only as much work as you want to make it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• it really depends on you and what you like. i've used flat folds, prefolds, AIO and pockets. i have decided to save my money on the AIO and the pockets. to me they just cost way to much and really not worth it. we stopped using the AIOs about 2 months after getting them and the pockets we stopped using the inserts because they smell really bad not long after using them and we have tried everything to get the smell out. so i have gone back to my prefolds and flat folds and i have found a no sew t-shirt diaper that we love. and gives us a use for all the t shirts that we no longer wear anymore.

but these is just my opinions on them.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 8:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think the more like a disposable and the less natural the fiber of the diaper the more problems crop up. AIOs don't seem like they would launder easily or dry quickly. And pockets seem like a lot of work, to me, just to save one step during the changing session. Diapers of "absorbent" fibers just don't have the natural...ease...of cotton.

My prefolds are unbleached indian. I wanted the best absorbancy and didn't want to worry about bleaching. We've never had a problem. I don't have a special wash routine. i wash in cold in an extra long cycle with the smallest amount of earth friendly scent free delicate detergent I use for our own clothes, 2 tbsp of washing soda, and 1-2 TBsp of ecover non chlorine bleach (sodium percarbonate). Once or twice a month I give a sanitizing hot wash with a few drops of tea tree oil. Stubborn stains are gone in subsequent washes. They still look brand new!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My faves are Green & Comfy. I only find them on eBay, but they are inexpensive. I just got 3 all in one diapers from them for under $20 including shipping.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Thanks, I didn't think to mention it but I don't, and CAN'T use bleach or anything with Chlorine... So that is a concern, thanks for bringing it up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No problem. I just, personally, don't see the wisdom in using stark white for diapers. But that's just me. Unbleached or colors camouflague stains better.    Even if I had whites I wouldn't use bleach.      I know some people use bleach, but it is really unnecessary IMO.     Good old fashioned sunlight, or the ecover (which is really just a dry form of hydrogen peroxide -- aka sodium percarbonate)   even overprice oxyclean will do (its just washing soda and sodium percarbonate mixed together).   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I have always used a scoop of the 20 mule team borax powder for mine. It really helps take any lingering stink out, and it works pretty well for stains too. It's only a few dollars a box, and it lasts a long time. It's great for spit-up stains and smells too.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010