I graduated from NYU with a Bachelors degree in Anthropology, and a 2.3 GPA.

It took me 7 years to graduate, I am 25 years old now. Do you think that I am stupid? Should I still be happy that I graduated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in

• I think its great no matter how long it took you....It took me about 6 to graduate with a degree in Elementary Education, mainly b/c I changed my mind on my major halfway through :)

But what exactly do you do with a degree in anthropology?
    Anonymous

• I graduated for a top private university with a 3.4 and then a 4.0 in grad school.

I think you should be happy that you graduated, why did it take you so long? Were you working a lot too? Did you party too much? Or were you really trying an dedicating most of your time to school? I wouldn't say that you're stupid, I don't think a stupid person could graduate at all and a 2.8 isn't that bad.

Anonymous

• Your GPA isn't great but it doesn't mean you are stupid either. I just know that for me to graduate from the technical college I go to we have to have a GPA of 2.5 or better or we don't graduate. I made mistakes when I was younger and it has taken me over a year to get my GPA to a 3.25 from under a 2.5. I have to fill out a progress contract every semester to get my financial aid because of my grades from years ago. I am 38 years old and have been on the Dean's List and STILL have to prove myself because I screwed around when I was younger.

Good for you for graduating!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• NYU is expensive. A B.A. in Anthropology isn't a useful degree--a doctorate is necessary to be considered an actual anthropologist. Your GPA is terrible. There's no way around that. The length of time it took for you to graduate with that degree is a major negative, too. It doesn't mean you're stupid. You probably didn't apply yourself to getting good grades. I hope you at least have field experience.
    Anonymous

• Oh heck, don't listen to miss negativity anon:57. My brother started out in community college when he was 18 years old and finally graduated with a bachelor's degree from a larger university when he was 45....yep, I said 45! He went to school at least part-time for all of those years, so yeah, it took him 27 years to earn his B.A. He has a good job working for a large bank and after a year there he already has been promoted (he's an accountant). He's not stupid, far from it, but he was a lazy student, wanting to party all night and not taking the time to study or do his class assignmets. He was also working full-time and had changed his major at least 4 times that I can recall. But the point is - He got a good job and you can, too.
    Anonymous