What to do?

I want to get a job in the worst way. I have filled out about 30 applications in the past year and have not even gotten one interview. This is no exaggeration. I know the economy is bad, but it can't be that bad in my area when people I know are getting several interviews. I have no criminal record, and plenty of experience in different areas. I do not have a degree, but the jobs I am applying for are waitresses and cashiers and such. The only thing I can think of is that I am not openly available to work anytime they need me to (can not work after 4 due to child care issues). However, others I know with lined up interviews have a family to work around as well. What on earth could be the problem??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• there are temp agencies everywhere. there are a few here where i live. a lot of factories hire directly out of them to avoid layoffs. they just get rid of temps when they need to cut back so then its not an official lay off....also they dont have to give full benefits or anything. however, you can make good money. the companies will also generally pull from their temps to fill full time positions. i would check your phone book for temp agencies.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Have you worked before this?Do you have a work history?
    I had a problem finding a job cause I had not worked in 10 years. Have you tryed Hotels?

Answer by louise2 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• It's like that all over...
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I have been a waitress a few times, bartender several times and places, cashier at several times and places, substitute teacher's aid in a child care facility, laborer doing several different jobs at a machine plant that made car parts, retail sales associate at GNC, babysitting... I still can not find anything. Businesses claim they are hiring, and like I said friends and acquaintances of mine have had several interviews in the past year or so. Its driving me nuts. Actually I haven't tried hotels, I am scared lol. Most of the hotels in my area are kind of gross. I could try to babysit again, I do live in a military city so I could probably make good money. But I always seem to get monster children that if they were mine they would be punished severely for the things they do. ugh!
    Anonymous

• OOO the one above was from the OP! :)
    Anonymous

• If I were you I would sign up w/ a placement or temp agency. They can also help you to work on interview skills, and be able to let you know what, if anything, would make you a "less desirable' candidate. But honestly finding a job right now is just really hard.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• OP- i have never heard of those, where would i find these placement or temp agencies?
    Anonymous

• I would say the after 4pm thing would be a big issue. at least for waitressing. I know most casual dining restaurants morning (11 or 10am) shifts are suppose to get off at 4pm, but they will not guarantee you to get off at that time. its impossible to guarantee.

as for the other jobs. many places get inidated with applications. its possible they didnt take a second look at it. if you are serious about a restaurant job, the best thing is to do is make sure you turn your application in DIRECTLY to a manager...that is the only way that i have actually been hired at a restuarant - and I have worked at SEVERAL.

keep trying. also, do you ever call the places and ask about your application after you dropped it off. I would try that. I would call after 3 or 5 days. Just tell them you are calling to check on your application. its possible they will blow you off, but you might get more information that way.

GL
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2010