Is it rude to ask a nurse to see her license or registration?

Because I was just at the O.B. a couple days ago and even though the nurse I had was really nice, she didn't seem to really know what the hell she was doing.

First of all she didn't seem to know how to stick an I.V. in me. I was there a few days ago for an I.V. (I was dehydrated) and she stuck the I.V. in the same exact spot where they stuck it before. I'm not a phlebotomist but I know that is a big no no. You're not supposed to stick someone where they've already been stuck.
Second, the doctor had to check with a speculum to see if I was dialating because i was having contractions and the nurse did not have a swab ready, which meant I had to lay there for a good five minutes with a speculum clamped on my ya know what, and the nurse didn't even know what a swab was!

So that is why I'm asking if it's rude to ask to see a nurse's license or registration.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 8:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• You can ask to have a different nurse, and make sure that you make the head nurse or someone at the hospital aware that the nurse's lack of knowledge made you feel uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• The nurses where I delivered were supposed to show their ID and introduce themselves and check your patient number and name every time they came in the room, and there were little comment cards they had by the nightstand in my room so if there was every a problem, I could let them know.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't ask the nurse, but i'd definitely be asking my OB what the hell she was doing in his office....seriously...
    Anonymous

• I would at least talk to the person in charge there and express the concerns.
    Anonymous

• She was probably a new nurse,lol.
    No, I don't think it would be rude as long as you asked in a nice way and not sounding mean or harsh. You can even ask her how long she has been a nurse.
    If you really feel uncomfortable with her though, I would ask the doctor for a different nuse, one that has more experience so you feel more comfortable.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Could she have been new? I know my dr's office has a new nurse and she can't ever find anything...and to me she seems very inexperienced. I would talk with the dr about it...I mean I would feel VERY uncomfortable knowing that that woman is anywhere near me lol Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Even if she were new, how can she not know what a swab is?
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah and she was going to get a urine sample from a cathader. WHY? I told her I was willing just just pee in a cup. lol
    Anonymous

• LOL! She ONLY had to show her license to the person that hired her. She can flat out refuse to show you, and she can walk out of your room.. but NO you cannot ask to see it. That's private information!

Anonymous