losing a toenail?

I've been wearing socks and sneakers from the time I get dressed to the time I go to bed for about a week now. I've noticed my toenails becoming softer, and tonight I was clipping the one next to the little toe and 99% of it came off from the side. I only have one little sliver on the left side of the nail left. It came off from the base up. What could cause this?

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 9:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Health

• Do you eat red meat? My mom's dr told her to quit eating red meat and when she did all her toenails fell off so the dr said to eat some red meat but not a lot! lol Doctors!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I actually eat a decent amount. Just had steak shish kabobs foir supper lol!
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 9:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• The only time I lost a toenail it was due to a half marathon in over 100 degree weather.... that was HELL and the toe nail came right off.
    Anonymous

• wow it is NOT caused by red meat. it's an infection under your toe. this has happened to me twice and my big toe nail fell off both times but it does grow back and doesn't hurt. sweat causes it so wash your feet regularly and try gold bond to keep your feet dry
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2010