Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get my child baptized in another country?

my brother in law is set to wed june 2011, in West Sussex England! I want Lily to be baptized there, I think it would be very special since we are going to ask Jeremy and Amanda (ones to get married) to be her god parents. I dont care where she gets baptized, Im personally not too big into religion even though Im a Catholic I really dont practice. My husband is Christian so I was wondering how that would all work out and maybe someone had a similar experience. Is there paperwork?, is it different since its in another country? I would love to hear anything in regards to this situation.

Answer Question

Asked by mnhagedorn at 9:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 3 (13 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • They may not do it in a Catholic Church if your husband isn't a Catholic and hasn't gone through those classes. Not even sure other churches would do it if you are not a member of the congregation. Have your family ask the priest over there but don't upstage the wedding for your own benefit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

  • Have your brother ask the clergy person who is performing his wedding, if he would be willing to do the baptism too. Especially seeing the godparents will be the bride and groom.

    As for the lady that says the Catholic Church may not do it because the husband isn't doesn't matter as long as the father (or mother if she's not Catholic) agrees to raise the child in the Catholic faith. My son's father isn't Catholic and the church still baptised him, same with my friends kids and one of my cousins kids.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

  • It's a church by church thing. Some churches only baptize the children of members. Some churches charge a fee for ceremonies. Just contact the priest at the church and ask.

    Answer by ecodani at 10:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

  • If you are using the Church of England then it is a Christening.  It is really down to the individual Vicar.  Some will be cool and some maybe not so much.  All you have to do is make an appointment with the Vicar.  No paperwork is involved, but Christenings are usually held once a month.  I'm an atheist and never go to church services but both my girls were Christened in England,  Vicar didn't care.


    Answer by beeky at 11:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

  • My stepson was baptized in a catholic church and his dad didn't agree to the baptism at all so, I don't think they care what the other parent thinks.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Religion & Beliefs
The Goddess Artemis

Next question overall (Relationships)