i want to start my 9 week old on cereal. she seems really intrested in watching us eat and gets excited. she is in the 97% in weight (14 lbs) what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started my daughter on cereal at 7 weeks and it was great!!! slept through the night and was much happier!!! she is 3 now and is very healthy happy and a great eater!! go for it!!! thats what most moms did 20 years ago.
    Anonymous

• ...Your 9 week old is NOT interested in what you are eating. She's only interested in YOU. Don't start cereal or ANYTHING other than formula until 6 months.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• 9 weeks? That's SUPER early. It's not recomended utnil 6 months. Their digestive system just cant handle it. Not to mention it leaves them more likely to develope food alergies.
    Here is some really good information on why it's better to wait.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/131235/why_delay_solids_until_your_baby_is.html
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• NOT a good idea. She's just interested in YOU, and what you're doing. If she was interested while you were doing dishes, would you think its time for her to start doing dishes? Just an analogy. IMO solids...NO SOONER then 6 months. And, you don't HAVE to use cereal. Fruits/veggies are fine for first foods at that age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think it's too early.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• thats way too early, we started my son at 4-5 months per the DR's orders.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• TOO early! I agree with New mom808 & Krysta622
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• NO
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• You need to wait AT LEAST 7 more weeks... her little digestive system can NOT handle that yet.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• That is WAY to early. Starting a baby on cereal to early can not only damage their digestive system but also add to health issues down the road. It's good that she is watching you, but it doesn't mean she's ready for anything like that. My kids were big too, but neither of them started on cereal til they were between 6 and 8 months...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2010