What do I do??

My mom is out of control. She calls me 20 times a day and texts me a lot too. If I don't answer she calls my dad and my sister and asks them if they've heard from me and tells them to call me. It's ridiculous! I am busy! She needs to leave me alone! I don't want to hurt her feelings because she gets offended really easily but this has got to stop. I don't know why she is doing this. It started a couple months ago and just gets worse. I have other siblings and there are 2 that still live with her so it can't be that she's lonely. I try asking her and she just says well i want to tell you about this or ask you about that but she always keeps me on the phone forever even when I tell her my baby is crying and I need to get off the phone or whatever. She always calls to bitch and complain about one thing or another and always wants to know everything I am doing during the day. What can I do to get her to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe just try listening...Moms need comfrot too...then maybe when she isnt so upset or something try telling her that you love talking to her and getting advice on the little one but you really need the phone free for other things...doctors appointments excetra and you also have to spend time doing other things...Maybe Set up a set time of the day for YOU to CALL HER!

Proud ceomom Jessica

http://www.internetceomoms.com/westfamily
    texasmommy1216

Answer by texasmommy1216 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Tell her the truth. My stepdad is this way and the only way to handle him is bluntly.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 9:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Tell her that you only have one time slot for talking with her. Say 1 to 1:30 or whatever would work for you. Tell her to save up her gripes and questions and so forth and go over all of them when you can give her your full attention. If she calls other times, lightly tell her that she'll need to call back at 1, since that is the time you have set aside to talk with her. Don't answer the phone when her number comes up, or if you don't have caller ID, let your machine pick up.

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Sounds to me like you need to put your foot down. Invite her to lunch and tell her how much you love talking to her, then explain that you just don't have that much time in your day anymore. Set aside a certain time each day for her to call and talk. Explain that you won't be able to answer the phone until then. Then go on with your day and don't answer the phone until it's time. It might take a few days but she'll get the point.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• MIL use to be like that but shes crazy like really crazy!! DH just stopped answering her phone whenever she called because he couldnt stand it any more.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 9:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My mom does the same thing. And if I tell her she's pestering she'll get irrational and say that she'll just never bother me again... all sorts of dramatics.

Just don't answer. Or sometimes answer and say, "oh mom! I've got an exploded diaper situation! Need 10 hands gotta go!"
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• With all this starting just a couple of months ago it makes me wonder what changed in your life. Any recent health issues with you or her that might make her clingy? My mother has always been this way(she has always been overprotective, my whole life). But to just start up, that's not normal. Perhaps a violent crime to someone close? It could be as small as a car break in. Before you set structured boundaries I would find out what's changed to make her this way. And in the moment when a child needs me when I'm on the phone, I just state I'll have to call you back my baby needs me. I don't even give them a chance to reply.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2010