Do you control the music your teens listen to?

Like, there are some really offensive songs. Or full of bad language. Like Eminem. Would you just delete a dong from your teen's ipod?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• NO. YOU'RE NOT ACCOMPLISHING ANYTHING BY DOING THAT. all you're doing is being controlling and no good ever came from a controlling parent
    Anonymous

• my son is only 1 but i dont think i would control his music.... i know when my mom tried to do that i would just find ways around it.
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 9:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Its just music and he is allowed to listen to whatever he wants we listen to some of the same music.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• i don't have teens but no i would not..if i were to be offended by a song i would just ask them not to play it around me. I listen to all music though so thats probably not going to happen unless i had a smaller child in the house and the song was just completely vulgar. I actually don't like songs that scream a lot of profanity...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No, it's just music. If my kid likes Eminem she can listen to Eminem. You teach your kids not to use that kind of language at home but that kind of language is used EVERYWHERE around a teenager. School, activities etc. Don't expect them to "stay in the dark" about it if you just delete the songs you don't approve.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 10:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No I wouldn't control it. BUT I don't need to pay for it either. If she's buying something I don't like it better be with her own money.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Nope. I don't monitor music, tv, movies or internet... I see no point, if they want to hear or see something, they will so "controlling" really does nothing by force them to hide and lie.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yes I did and I also controlled what they watched on TV and I still do limit what my 18 and 19yo's may watch in this house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• yes..we control everything that comes into this house..including tv, video games, music, and internet. We are the parents...we set the rules..not my kids...but we, as parents, also set an example by what we do or do not do. it's not that we are listening to eminem and then telling the kids its no good! leading by example!!
    eatmyshorts

Answer by eatmyshorts at 9:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2010