My daughter is 3 weeks old and during the day she cries constantly. Any position I put her in is fine for a few minutes then she freaks out suddenly. Is she colic?

Jewel1121

Asked by Jewel1121 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is probably more along the lines that when you move her, she is in contact with you but then you move away and that is what is causing the crying. colic normally means that no matter what position, they cry
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• More info is needed. Formula or breastfed? Do you carry her in arms or put her in baby containers?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• She is on formula. Its seems to be everyday during the days that she is just not happy with whatever i do. I will try to hold her on my chest, put her in the swing, the bouncy chair, etc...and she is fine for about 5-10 minutes then she starts crying and crying. I don't know what to do anymore. It is so overwhelming to have a crying baby day after day.
    Jewel1121

Answer by Jewel1121 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• baby containers?

What is that? Do you mean carrier or do people seriously put babies in containers?

Anonymous

• Both of my babies were exactly the same way. I thought that's just how babies are.
    Anonymous

• google "The Happiest Baby on the block" it is a book/video to live by! it saved us! twice!!
    Anonymous

• Containers: swings, baby seats, etc.

It is quite possible, that the formula doesn't agree with her. Does she seem like she has gas? Does she pull her legs up when she cries? How did her last poop look?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I would take her to a chiropractor first. It can relieve all sorts of things. I know if I were shoved through a...well anyway. That's where I would start.
    Then, like amileegirl suggested, I would look at possibly changing her formula. She may be having trouble digesting it.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I did watch the Happiest Babies on the Block and tried it for the 1st two weeks with no luck. With the swaddling she would literally fight...she likes to sleep with her hands over her head and her feet out. I can't even put her in one of those sleep sacks or she kicks her feet like crazy to get them out.

She does cry with her feet up. But she always cries this way. Her poop is soft like it has been since the beginning.

Jewel1121

Answer by Jewel1121 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• She still might have gas pain even without constipation.  t just sounds like pain to me, but its hard to say over the internet.    You can try changing formula to a gentler kind, there is also a brand called baby's only by Nature's One,     that's worth looking at.           You can also see if she likes the "colic hold".        You can also try smaller more frequent feeds.  Or change your bottle and nipple type to one that is as close to breast as possible as those create fewer air bubbles and the baby has to work harder and doesn't have to gulp.

I'm a breastfeeder, so of course, I would naturally encourage you to put the baby back to breast. If interested you can check out www.kellymom.com and www.drjacknewman.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2010