At what age would you let your child watch a movie like Pineapple Express, and other "stoner movies"?

I'll admit I've never seen the whole thing of Pineapple Express, I've seen the beginning a few times but get bored and turn it off but I saw enough to know how much pot smoking is in it. I have nothing against pot smokers but I wouldn't let my kids watch a movie with any kind of drug content until they're well into their teens. Today my cousin's 10 year old son said Pineapple Express was his favorite movie, there's also plenty of other shows and movies he is allowed to watch that I would never dream of allowing a child of his age to watch and then there are some movies that while I still wouldn't find appropriate for his age are still much more milder in their language and content that my cousin doesn't allow him to watch so I just don't get it and I keep my mouth shut because how she raises her son is none of my business.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are almost 3 and 4... We watched PE and they were both here and awake. I don't think they were really interested, but it was on and they saw it. There wasn't any gore or bad nudity... so no big deal.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• 15 and up...hopefully they wont be into stoners tho....
    Anonymous

• [OP]: I can understand watching a movie like PE and others around young kids; mine are 4 and 5 because they don't really get what the innuendoes and such mean but at 10 years old my cousin's son is at the point where he can put the pieces together and be influenced (so to speak) by the language and situations.
    Anonymous

• Well my DD watches everything we all watch. She's 2 1/2 and she asks to watch 28 weeks later. I mean stoner movies are different from zombie movies but still some find inappropriate for a young child. My 9 year old step sons watch all sorts of movies too. Their new favorite is also 28 weeks later. We are a zombie loving household lol.

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't let my kids watch any of those movies until they were at least 15 like Anon. said. 10 is just ridiculous. I'm sure since its his favorite movie now, he'll be repeating things from it...which I'm sure the parents of other 10 year olds won't be happy about.
    Anonymous

• wth? i couldnt watch movies like that until i was old enough to see them in theaters...which is 17. i dont think a 10 year old should be watching movies that encourage doing drugs or drinking and partying. i knwo it happens in life but they dont need to see something else that glorifies bad behaviors. now a 5 year old probgably wont know whats going on anyway. but older than that, and they need to be in another room
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• If their is no real sex and no real gore, I don't see a reason to limit them from watching it... Watching something on TV or in a MOVIE doesn't mean they will turn in to it... My DH grew up watching Freddy and Jason movies - he's one of the least violent people I know.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think those movies are an insult to the intelligence. They are not even funny, they are dumb. I encourage my kids to watch more wholesome movies.
    Anonymous

• I generally follow movie ratings. If it's an R movie then 16-17 - If it's PG13 then 13 depending on why...if it's for just language then ok an 11 or 12 yr old could watch etc,...
    Anonymous

• [OP]: lol delilahsmom1177, my 5 year old is terrified of zombie movies - they give her nightmares but 4 year old loves them. It started out when I was watching Shaun of the Dead and they came in from playing outside and then she'd start watching my brothers play the resident evil games. She has a zombie mask and loves scaring all the other children in the neighborhood but she got in trouble the other night when I was sitting outside their bedroom door and I could hear her make zombie sounds from the top bunk and say in a really creep voice, "I'm a zombie, oooo I'm a zombie, Jenna I'm a zombie!" She's sort of morbid for a 4 year old and once told her sister that she had dead bodies buried in the back yard and like half an hour later her sister found an old bone that was once a chew toy for the dog half buried in the yard and she totally freaked...took me a good 15 minutes to convince her it wasn't a human bone.
    Anonymous