How high do YOU let a fever get for a toddler with no other symptoms before taking them to the emergency room or urgent care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had a temp of 103 and it would not break with tylenol, so we brought him in. Turns out he had viral pneumonia. I usually give it few hours to break with at home remedies, if not I take my kiddos to the hospital
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I would go at 104. Luckily, my daughter has never had a fever high enough for me to worry about it!
    Anonymous

• If it hit 104 or 105 I would call the peds or nurseline. But there is very little an ER can do about a fever and the added stress can make the issue worse. Just keep him/her hydrated and make sure they rest.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• i wait until its about 102 and is not coming down with meds before i call, and wait until 104 to go to er
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• At 104 I usually call ask-a-nurse.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• If no symptoms and tylenol and motrin are not keeping it down, I call the doc at 104 and ask what they recommend.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I'd probably call the doc at 102, but then, I'm a first-timer!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• if they were running a fever for 3 days then i would take them . at the er they just give them Motrin.. and u sit there all night and day . i just cover them up give Motrin and let them sleep theyalways get get better the next day
    Anonymous

• A fever with no symptoms, runy nose, anything like that worries me. Cause you dont know if the fever is from something serious, so a fever with NO symptoms I would take them in at around 102. Could be an ear infection, or something serious you just arent seeing the outward symptoms. I had a neice almost die from menengitis cause her mom didnt think she had any other symptoms so she wasnt worried about taking her in for her fever of around 102-103. Also, any fever that wont respond to tylenol, or motrin, I take them in if it stays over 102. If I can plainly see what is causing the fever, and know it is treatable at home, then I wait till about 104-105. A lot depends on the age of the child too.
    Anonymous

• for me 104. the highest dd has gone was 106
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2010