BROKEN TOOTH

If I broke a tooth tonight, would it be ok to wait till Monday or Tuesday to go to the dentist? Is there any special care I need to do until then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Health

• It will be fine. Use some Ibuprofen if it bothers you.
    Anonymous

• Best bet is to stick it in a glass of whole milk and head to the emergency room. You don't want to wait in case there you broke it close to a nerve.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I broke my tooth in half last Sunday and just got it pulled yesterday. You will be fine. Just take ibuprofen for pain if there is any and if it rubs on your cheek or tongue i used ortho wax to help. The nerve was also showing on mine which is why i also used the wax . GL and i hope it feels better.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• What does getting a tooth pulled consist of....time off work, child care so on?
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Sorry for the silly question, but being a single mom I have to be able to plan alittle bit!
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• You may not need it pulled. I broke one of my molars a few weeks ago and just had it filled rather than pulled or having to have a cap. I had to wait a few days before I could get in to be seen by the dentist. If you're not in any pain, it will be fine to wait, and you'll probably have to see what the dentist says about what will need to be done.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If you have to get it pulled, you'll probably have to arrange for time off of work and help with your kids because (unless they've changed it) you'll be loopy from the medicine they numb you with and what they give you to manage the pain afterwards. Hopefully you don't have an exposed nerve, THAT can hurt big time but can usually be managed with Tylenol. GL!
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 6:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• When you get a tooth pulled, they will either give you the same shot they do for feelings and then you'll be fine to drive and whatever, just feel like you have the puffy face. Personally, I can't stand that, I hate the dentist, so I always go to the one who sticks a needle in my arm, then wakes me up when they're done. If that's the case, you'll need child care and someone to drive you home. That person will most likely have to remain in the office while you getting the work done.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Wow, I can't believe all the mis-information you have been given.
    I've been a dental hygienist for 23 years.
    Putting a broken tooth in a glass of milk will do nothing - only if the entire tooth has come out including the root do you put it in milk and it should be placed back in the mouth within 1 hour of bring knocked out.
    A broken tooth might just need a filling, it might need a crown, or if it is too deep it might need a root canal and a crown.
    If you are not in pain don't worry about it.
    Unless the tooth is broken past the gumline I doubt you will need an extraction. Most extractions only require local anesthesia and don't do any more than numb the site just like a filling.
    You didn't mention pain so I suspect you just chipped the tooth - no special care need.
    You might be sensitive to air and temperature but you should be fine.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2010