What kind of insect repellant do you use on your 10 month old?

i read that you should buy deet free, which i did (its all natural), but now i read something from the AAP that natural sprays may not be good.. any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• avon's skin so soft
    quila_sunrise

Answer by quila_sunrise at 11:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Sol-U-Mel by Melaleuca diluted 1:10 with water and sprayed on clothes works wonders. I use a little spray bottle and label it. There are no harmful chemicals at all. Ingredients are alcohol, tea tree oil, and green soap tincture. For itchy bug bites we like MelaGel, also by Melaleuca. It's good for everything from cuts to pimples, and of course, no harmful ingredients.
    tnwellnessmom

Answer by tnwellnessmom at 12:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• none, i wouldnt put bug spray on any child under 2
    you dont want it to end up in their mouth and on a 10 month old it will
    plus its full of chemicals i wouldnt want sprayed on a young child
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 1:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• BUT if you have to use something i 2nd the Melaleuca stuff
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 1:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If it is for a situation in which the child is outside for barbecue, picnic, etc. then I would look into candles or those other types of repellents. If it like that you are going out for a walk or playground and there are lots of bugs, then I would go with what tnwellnessmom posted

lilblu399

Answer by lilblu399 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• California Baby makes a Bug repellent lotion. It's non-chemical, non toxic and deet free, pesticide free. It has no nut oils, gluten, soy , oat or dairy in it. It is a lemony citronella scent.....it's very smelly but it does work fairly well: ) I found it after having the same concerns as you.
    You can find it at www.californiababy.com or babycenter.com
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• The California Baby lotion is the way to go. You have to be a member of Melaluca to buy their products and it's very expensive. I'm not saying their products aren't great. I've used them and they are wonderful, but I doubt it's practical to join and have to spend $60-$70 a month to buy bug spray/lotion. You can get lots of tea tree oil products at regular natural foods stores too.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Burt's bees Insect Repellant I used it on my daughter when she was 18 months and we were living in Maine. Do not put anything else on your 6 month old child. Avon's Skin so soft is full of horrible chemicals, I wouldn't put it on myself.
    Kimosabe

Answer by Kimosabe at 4:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Fresh lemon juice. Just squeeze a lemon into your hand and rub the juice on the skin. Smells great and bugs hate it. Just becareful because in the sun it will lighten hair.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I use the Off fan and it works GREAT!
    IamATeenMom307

Answer by IamATeenMom307 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2010