Help with a plug/blocked milk duct

its on my right breast (left if looking at me) and on the left side of my areola is where a HUGE LUMP is. i cant get rid of it. I bf but i also supplement. Anyways, i cant pump all the time because it hurts. it pulls my nipple to hard. its the medela electric pump i got from my LC for free. it starts to crack around my nipple's. i also massage, put under warm water. i put cabbage leaves one night. nothing is working. and yes i do bf as much as possible. i dont want to explain why i supplement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to work it out with warm compress and massage.     Have you gone to www.kellymom.com yet?     Have you nursed the baby with his/her nose pointed at the direction of the lump?  Or masaging the lump while you nurse?

As for you pump, do you have the right size piece that goes over the nipple?   If it is too small it will hurt.    Are you also sure it is on the lowest setting?    IF you can't pump you should learn how to hand express -- it is especially important if you are supplementing to keep your supply up and your breasts healthy.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html      

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I agree with above. Nurse frequently from that side, and massage it while you nurse. Hot compresses too, especially when nursing.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i have hand expressed but not alot comes out. i have done massages while bf. i do have the right size for my pump. i forgot the name of the thing that goes around it. its just that my nipples are always cracked. it only shows when i pump. both nipples are healing. it doesnt hurt as bad as when we bf. yes its on the lowest setting but it goes very hard and then it goes to the let down part after like 2 mins i think. its the 329 dollar pump. i got it for free from my LC. i never tried any other position but cradle hold because its what is easiest and comfortable. and i never knew about positioning baby to the area where the lump/ blocked area is. i did read it on kellymom and on a video before i came here to check on responses. i guess you need to put babies chin near the blocked area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• When my milk duct got clogged I put hot compresses on constantly. I made sure they were as hot as I could handle and then massaged with them over the spot. I also had my husband massage for me because he was able to get the lump at different angles. I also used a hand pump in a hot shower which helped A LOT! I hope that helps! Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Breast pumps can cause plugged ducts. It's best to breastfeed the breast with the plugged duct frequently, every 2-3 hours. Cabbage leaves are not for plugged ducts. Unless you are nursing frequently you haven't tried the only thing that works to fix the plugged duct.

Warm compresses can help it feel better and can help before breastfeeding. Rest is good to prevent infection.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It sounds like you are doing everything you can, I had a blocked duct a month or so ago and warm moist compresses, massage, and having my dd nurse was all I did and it worked, it just took a few days to work itself out. i feel your pain, hang in there! also a mild anti inflammatory like motrin will help :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• When I had a clogged milk duct I massaged the breast particularily where I felt the pain. I also breast feed my daughter as much as possible on the breast that had a clogged duct. I used a pump for the other breast and I was better within 2-3 days. GL
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• try massaging BEHIND the lump while you nurse and hand express after your child is done eating to make sure your breast is empty. Warm compresses and plenty of water will help with discomfort, as well as taking tylenol.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 2:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Like the other ladies are saying: Nursing, massage and hot compresses. I massaged when I was in the shower and that usually helped.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 7:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• also try not to eat a bunch of breads and sugar so it wont get a yeast infection bc those are hard to get rid of andif u get one it can spread to baby's mouth
    tam84

Answer by tam84 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2010