Does your husband work out of town?

How do you handle it? My husband has only been gone two months now and I can't stand it already. Our situation isn't even that bad, I get to go visit him every other week. I know so many other families have much more extreme cases. I just wonder how you all do it? I hate this and I feel like I'm ready to throw in the towel already, but we really don't have that option.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband was in the Army for 8 years and whether he was in the field training for a few days or deployed for over a year, it was hard, not only on me, but also our son. Some things that helped me through this time was to keep busy. I am a list maker so I made a list of everything that I wanted to accomplish in the time that I knew my husband would be gone. I also took up hobbies, and I made sure that I had some "me" time every once in a while. As for my son, what worked best for him was to have plenty of pictures of his daddy around his room and in his own special photo book. I also bought him a daddy doll. You can see what it is here. They also have some good separation tips on there too. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My Hubby is in the navy so I deal with deployments on and off. Right now he will be gone for about two months, undersea. My handling it is he has to leave it's inevitable so you just deal. I focus all my energy on the girls and nothing else.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 11:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My Hubby is gone 4-6 weeks at a time.. I take care of the house, yard, kids, dogs, pool, etc etc.. I just keep busy and be thankful for what he does for us. It beats the hell out of living in a cardboard box.. I get to stay home with our boys, and have a pretty easy life while he's working his ass off, so I don't complain, and just make the best of it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My boyfriend lives 3,000 miles away. I live in CT and his family lives in NY so he spent a lot of time on the east coast when we met and for the year we've been dating he'll be at his place for a few weeks when negotiating his next business deal, if he's working on a project for months at a time he'll come visit for a weekend every two weeks and any other time between all that he'd stay with me and visit his family as well but recently we decided to take the next step and live together full time so he's renting out his house in California and moving in with me. He'll still have to travel and be gone for long periods of time for work, but at least he'll be coming back to OUR home rather than just visiting my home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Cont.. Also, since you said that you are ready to throw in the towel, you may want to let your husband know how you are feeling. Is it possible that he could take some vacation time soon so that y'all can reconnect and have time to discuss possible changes? The best thing to do is talk with him and let him know your concerns. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

• My ex is in the army, so when we were still married and dealing with that... I just adjusted, I really don't know how I handled it other than just do. lol that's helpful isn't it? I kept a journal of our time apart and wrote everything I would normally say to him in it, then he read it when he came home. God I'm horrible I can't think of anything else. Now I have a boyfriend who lives 1000 miles away. That's awful because there is no end in sight. I'm having more trouble with it and honestly I haven't figured it out. We just talk a lot and I tell him when I'm feeling whiny about his living so far away. That's the best we've come up with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2010