My daughter is getting baptized soon and what do parents usually get for their child for their baptism

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the parents dont get anything, they throw the party afterwards. the godfather is supposed to give the donation to the church, and the godmother is supposed to buy the outift but i personally would buy my own outfit or atleast pick it out.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• some parents will get the child their first bible or cross, but with such a young child I have no idea. I suppose you could get it now and just save it for later.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I bought a "My First Bible" at the local bookstore. We also purchesed his outfit and threw a party afterwards. I figured the bible was enough.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 6:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think it depends what religion they're being baptised in. Catholic baptism is A LOT different than my church's baptism - we don't have godparents, we don't do gifts, etc. Whoever wants to buy the outfit can - I know my mom's family used the same dress for all the grandkids (me included) and my mom wanted to buy my DD's dress - which we ended up using for all 3 of my girls, it was specially made, I picked the design, and the lady who made it embroidered all 3 of my girls' names & birthdates on it as needed. My mom also bought my son's outfit (dress was too girly!). I plan, as long as my kids are okay with it, to have them use the same outfits for their kids some day. We don't have parties - some people have lunch afterwards at their house, we just had grandparents & aunts/uncles of the baby. Gifts just aren't done, maybe a card with money for the baby's savings. No church donation. Religion/church makes a lot of difference!
    Anonymous