How do you know if your baby has an ear infection??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm not going to go and say i swear it's how!!!
    I'm just going to go by what i read and hear.. ear infection on a baby means pulling on their ear..
    i thought maybe continuously scratching the ear like we do when it itches lol i was a mess when my son done it.. but every time i see a pediatrician or an audiologist [my son's hard of hearing] they say his ear is clean as a whistle with a few wax in his ear that'll come out on his own, a few days later I see the wax come out lol
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• You can buy an odoscope at Walmart for $14 and look in yourself. It comes with pictures that show you what to look for in an ear infection.

It's cheaper than a trip to the doctor's office, which is your other choice.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I have dealt w/ this alot w/ my daughter, more cranky at night, will not sleep, tuggy at her ear, maybe a fever. Good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• With my oldest, he just gets an awful cold and is really congested, snot pouring out his nose. He never complains about his ears. My youngest just had her first one. She had a fever of 101 and kept swiping at her ear. She had a double ear infection even though she always swiped at the same ear.
    I think most kids are different. Once you learn your child's signs you will be good to go, just got to figure it out first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My kids first sign is waking at night, sometimes crying. Then they'll start getting a snotty nose & yucky eyes. If we haven't figured it out by then, they'll start coughing. None of my kids have ever tugged their ears or messed with them at all when they have an infections. Naptime and nighttime are the worst times of day, because it hurts to lay down - which is why they'll usually not want to go to sleep, and/or wake frequently.
    Anonymous

• The ONLY sign my son had when he had an ear infection was a 106 fever. He NEVER pulled on his ear but he slept more. He was a little crabby but not much. Just the fever, a trip to the ER and meds. 6 infections in 5 months when he was 13 months old and has not had one since (he is 13 years old now. The doctor mentioned "tubes" and my son stopped having infections)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Take him to the doctor and get a diagnosis. That's the only way I know of to know for sure. You can have a strong suspicion based on certain signs, like those PPs have mentioned (fever, tugging at the ear, congestion, etc.). But there's not much you can do for it without a diagnosis and prescription (and meds aren't always necessary, even for a positive diagnosis). So if you think your baby has an ear infection and you don't want to wait it out to see if it goes away on its own, then take him to the doctor to find out.
    Anonymous

• My oldest had a history of ear infections-- and sometimes he showed signs of it (like tugging/digging at his ear) other times he did not he just had 'cold' symptoms. He did have 1 time where he woke up at 4am screaming that his ear hurt. One thing that did help him was warm, moist heat-- I got a washcloth wet and he put that over his ear.
    The only way to tell for sure if your child has an ear infection is to take him/her to the doctor and do an exam.
    Anonymous

• Fever, tugging at infected ear, refusal of food and or drink. Crabby, sometimes no symptoms at all.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2010