What would force you to take child out of Public School?

Everyone knows most public schools are slowly going down hill..
What would it take for you to pull your child out of PS and find something else (Over crowding, bad teacher/student ratio, violence, bad curriculum) & what would you choose (Homeschooling, Private school)
Or do you feel you would have no choice but to send your child to the PS no matter what was going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Except when you have students who are living with major mental health issues and the school has no resources to assist those kids. As a therapist I worked with kids in schools who should have been in more theraputic environments capable of meeting there needs. Unfortunately schools are treated as residential treatment facilities for kids with no other options. It is complicated. And the more a school serves mainly low socio-economic families the higher the risks are that resources are limited. I am in no way blaming the schools or the families. Politics at every turn and every level impact the quality of education. The more each parent can stand up and be vocal at their chid's school and vote for canidates who support public education with healthy ideas about how to make our schools be the best they can be - the better off we will all be.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• For me it would be violence, bad curriculum, and/or if she ends up getting certain teachers that are horrible. I would home school. Private schools are at least an hour from where we live and we can't afford it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• it really just depends on how my child was doing in public school. if they wanted to stay in public school, and there grades were good, i would let them. if they wanted to leave public school, i would let them. if they werent doing good, i might consider taking them out of ps eventually.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I'm kind of feeling that I have no choice but to send my child to public school. I can not afford to send him to private school, and make "too much money" even though we are barely making it and apparently not the right race to get any grants for him to go. And he has absolutely no interest in learning from me, I can not get him to pay attention, but he listens well to a teacher or when being tutored.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I took my grandson out of public school and homeschooled him bc I sat in on his classes in PS and he was not being taught anything. The teachers verbally abused the students and I didn't want him treated like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We did public school for 3 years. I pulled her out to homeschool. Our district is one of the worst in the nation and full of violent kids. If we could move away to a better district I might concider PS again.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If I couldn't get them into a school I wanted them in. We have gotten lucky so far, their elementary school in Spain was awesome, and the school here on base is not bad at all, and we were able to sign waivers and get both my oldest into the self-contained highly capable program at a better school further from our house. So we'll see how it is when we move from here. If it's a big city, where crime is high, I would think about homeschool. Can't afford private school.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I'm not sure what the reasoning was for my parents. But when I was in the 5th grade, they pulled me out of a public school and put me in a private school until I was in high school. in middle school my grades increased dramatically, every year I finished with straight A's. Then when I got to my freshman year in high school, I was way ahead of everyone in all of my classes, and continued to stay on the honor roll. I think it helped. Private schools are more, well.... Private. They're pricey, but I think in some cases, they have amore intimate setting and each child can have the time they need in order to work with the teacher to understand the material. But thats just how it was with mine.
    tcervantes

Answer by tcervantes at 12:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We homeschooled this year, but our sons will attend PS this upcoming fall as I will be going back to school as well. But I wont hesitate to pull them out if I feel that their educational needs are not being met. But I will also put out there that PS is a tool to be used, not the only source of education. I really think that a school is as good as the parents involved in it. If parents are active in not only the education of their children, but also the social structure and basic politics of the school, then the school can be formed to meet the needs of the students. But without the support and active input of the parents, the schools loose control. Alot of people send their kids to school and wash their hands of the responsibility of educating their children, I feel that you need to be just as involved as a homschooling mom.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I guess violence would be the only reason I'd pull my kid out of public school. The other issues-overcrowding, bad curriculum, etc? Your life is what you make it. If a child really wants to learn, they will find a way to learn.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2010