When can you give a baby other liquids than formula?

It's been a very HOT summer where I am, and my son gets so hot. I started giving him a little water with a drop of gerber apple juice in it for flavor. He's 5 months old. I don't want him getting hot and thirsty. I only give him about 3 ounces total all day, and he doesn't even finish that. What are your opinions on this? Is it too early? Even if its just a few ounces?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is old enough for both but I would say try not to give him too much juice and ask his ped if its ok. the juice will mess with his bowels,but the water is good. also be sure that it isnt interfering with his eating. sometimes too much liquid and they dont want to eat right, so again talk to his doc.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• we visited my dad in Arizona when my son was turning 6 months, we ran out of juice FAST. So we tried water and he took it very well. Gerber baby juice he'd been on, in little amounts, for about two months. gl!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• juice isn't necessary, giving it is a personal preference and I would recommend giving plain water so that it will be easier later on to give plain water. when to start depends on the parent's preference and the pediatrician's recommendation, but if you think your little one is ready keep in mind that most of his liquid needs should still be met by formula or breastmilk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It isn't necessary to give babies water...they ARE on a liquid diet. A breastfed baby has a bit of an advantage in that they can get bm with less fat at the beginning of a feed and stop when quenched. A formula baby has the same throughout a feed. Don't give juice....a lot of juices are diuretics or just plain full of sugar. They aren't good for hydration. Plain water only if you are going to give something, but I wouldn't give a baby under 6 months old water and then only if diaper counts were off.

Gerber juice is another marketing ploy to get your money. It is not needed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2010