Baby Allergies

My 4 1/2 month old has horrible allergies. She's sneezy, congested, runny nose, red itchy watery eyes, and dry throat. I've done everything I can for her. I set up a humidifier, and got vapor bath soap to clear her nose, I clean her nose out every day several times a day. I put Vaseline on her nose because its getting irritated from all the wiping. She's suffering soooo badly. I'm taking her to the doctor Monday, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And if anyone has heard of some sort of liquid allergy drops to give infants. Baby Claritan or something like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Humidifiers can make allergies worse. Vapor bath can make allergies much worse. I am extremely allergic to that horrible stuff. Vaseline is a petroleum product that can cause allergies and petroleum is a known carcinogin.

You are doing just about everything wrong. It's a good thing you are taking your baby to the doctor. What you should be doing now is breastfeeding and no solids. Most baby and toddler allergies are from food allergies.

use "free" detergent to wash clothes and use extra rinse. Use no or minimal chemical products on or around the baby. Don't use Johnson's & Johnson's anything or anything with scent or petroleum. I have many chemical allergies and can use some Burt's Bees products and some Kiss My Face.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• you are not doing everything wrong, not everyone reacts to vapor baths and vaseline is just fine for chapped skin. boudreaux's makes a product called baby kisses that is wonderful for dry, chapped skin. saline drops in your baby's nose might help loosen mucous so you can suction it better. if your baby is on formula you might want to try switching to a formula that has no cow's milk protein in it, one of my nephews had a similar reaction and it went away completely by switching to a soy formula. there are no allergy products that I am aware of for babies this young, but your doc might be able to help you find something that will help.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• There are no OTC drugs for allergies for babies or toddlers. Since your baby has so many problems she should see an allergist. It can take a long time to get into see an allergist and insurance or Medicaid may not pay for testing or treatment.

Breastfeeding for as long as possible is the best thing for the child with allergies. With my oldest I had to relactate after he had his first asthma attack and was diagnosed with allergies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It could possibly be the products that you're using in your home. Some products do make allergies worse. Rhianna has a good idea to use non scented products. I use all natural products in my home. You may want to consider to try more natural products. I'm not one to give medicine unless my kids absolutely need it, so I can't recommend any over the counter meds for your baby. I hope she gets better, there is nothing worse than having a suffering baby.

Visit: www.CleanandGreenFamily.com

Hope this helps a bit.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Both of my kids have my seasonal allergies. Once my daughter turned 2, the Dr. ok-ed children's claritin for the couple of weeks when it's at its worst. My son is 17 months, so no meds for him. For both kids, I use eucalyptus oil rubbed on their chests to help them breathe, cool mist vaporizer at bedtime, saline nasal spray to loosen mucus, and baby vicks on their feet with socks over it (sounds silly, but it works).
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• There are allergy medicines for infants and toddlers--it is baby Claritin. My DD's doctor prescribed it for my Granddaughter. She also changed her formula to a soy-based formula. She had nursed for many months, but the baby had allergies and they have had much better results since switching to soy formula and the baby Claritin. I just don't think it is good for babies of 4 1/2 months old. Your doctor will be able to tell you this. Her doctor did tell her to keep the baby elevated by raising on end of the crib or letting her sleep in her carseat when she was feeling bad. Best of luck to you.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• They prescribed allergy syrup for her. I can not breastfeed her anymore. She's been on the same formula for 2 months now, and she has been fine. I don't think it's an allergy to formula. It's something in the air. Thank you for the tips.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2010