Sleeping in a Boppy pillow?

I know your not supposed to put anything in a crib with baby, but I've started putting my sons Boppy pillow in with him to sleep on since he was 4 months old. He gets wheezy at night, and when he's elevated a little, he sleeps better. And its not one of those bad habits to start I don't think. All kids sleep with pillows eventually. I think it's fine, but I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake. Please don't post insults for me to read, calling me a bad mother. I just want to know what people think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• how old is he now? my biggest fear would be that he would roll and somehow wedge himself where he might suffocate himself. That's the major reason you aren't supposed to put anything in the crib with a baby. they have actual baby foam wedges, maybe you could find a way with those to prop him where he absolutely won't roll. But that will only work if he's still too young to roll. if you started him at 4 months, I'm assuming he is already able to roll over. just be careful mamma. I know you'd hate to wake up to find it was a fatal mistake. wheezy? is it asthmatic? or does he just kind of snore? if it's not something that's hurting him, I personally would just lay him on his back without the support. Check with your ped if you think his lungs may have a problem. luck to you
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I honestly don't think it's a good idea. I think it's a major hazard. There are some incline type things that are safe babies. Check Babies R Us.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Sleeping in a carseat or swing are safer. I would talk to your pediatrician. I let my newborn sleep propped on the boppy but only when I was in the room with her. 4 months old can wiggle a lot and yet not be fully in control of their maneuvering. I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

• my daughter would sometimes sleep in a boppy when she was little but never while me or her dad were sleeping just incase of suffocation. i did however have her lay in it while we are up and shes napping.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Tilting the mattress will elevate him without endangering him with a pillow
    Anonymous

• The concern over babies sleeping with objects in the crib is suffocation. If you want something to prop up the mattress there are pillow wedges that can be placed under the mattress, elevating it enough to decrease some of his wheezing. Before I bought a pillow wedge I placed my girls, when they were infants, in their carseats and then the carseat in the crib so they'd get use to surroundings in the nursery.
    Anonymous

• Knowing how my 4 month old wiggles and moves while he sleeps, I would not use a boppy. I agree with the others....elevate the mattress and suction the nose if there are boogies!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2010