making baby food

I plan on making my dd's food, or at least most of it, and want to know; is a food processor or food mill better for the job? which one do you prefer?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used a mini-food processor at home, and a baby food mill when we were out.

The baby food phase is so short, it is not worth a big investment in equipment.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I am not sue of the difference? But I had a processor and oved it. there are so many iff textures for the stages of your baby-it just worked for me.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I used the food processor that I already had, and it worked fine :) Most of their foods I just mashed up with a fork - they liked the textures. Neither of my kids were big fans of food that was completely pureed for very long though, and what solid food they did get (because solids shouldn't replace meals of breastmilk/formula until after 1 yr) was straight table food cut into small chunks by 9/10 months.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yolu really don't need to fuss that much unless you want to, I giv my baby samples of me meals as long as it is fork mashable, naturally soft or easy for her to gum to death. Less time and energy. With the exception of meat and fish, you name it she's eaten it. Even asparagus! She s 8 1/2 months now and we've been doing this for four weeks. Be fore that she wasn't much interested than more than a finger taste of food. Once she learned how to manipulate food with the tongue and do the chewing motion she can handle chunks of soft food (she especially likes beans and pears). I also don't give her food...she comes and asks for it by crawling over and sitting or standing and begging/asking. When done, she leaves.

You don't need to mimic the stuff in jars, if you wait until at least six months which is the recommended age, and even a few weeks longer if the baby hasn't developed the mouth control.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I used a blender for a while, then gave up on purees and gave little chunks of soft things or just mashed stuff with a fork. I also had a little grinder that I used when we were away from home, but it probably wasn't worth spending the $12 on ebay.
    Anonymous

• With my son I thought that babies HAD to have food and that it HAD to go through all the stages of pre-digestion (since that's what pureeing it is, lol) and I used a small $10 walmart food processor. With my youngest I've learned better and we give her whole food without doing anything other than maybe cutting up a few things (collard greens, for one, but not bananas).
    Pishyah

Answer by Pishyah at 5:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2010