What do you think? I think the reason "older moms" don't want advice on thier teens from teen moms is this...

We aren't trying to understand our teens, befriend them, or make their lives easier. We are trying to PARENT them. Sometimes, it takes thinking like an adult, not a teen...being kinda mean, and purposely making their lives hard so they will strive for the high road. We don't really need you to explain their thinking. We were there once...we need advice from others who are where we are now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OP I started this whole thing tonight and you just said it so perfect for me. Thats all I got,,,kind of interesting to get stuff debated,,thank you so much,,,and Im going to bed. Ladies you rock! We can debate,,,we can share and in the end we can also go to bed. Honestly, I really love being an older mom. Im not offended in anyway. I have raised those super stars almost to completion, and it is an amazing feeling,,,I dont envy you young mommys, I do support you however and am grateful for the support you give me. Good night all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think you hit the nail on the head my friend!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We've all been there, but I do understand where the younger moms are coming from in giving advice. The older I get, the less I relate to kids that age. I just don't have the perspective that I used to, and I'm only 31. I don't think it's a bad thing to be reminded now and again what it was like to be that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That is true, but things have changed a lot since "older" moms were teens themselves, that a "younger" mom's perspective can shed some light on why the "older" mom's teen is acting they way they are. Teens now face issues that I never did and I'm only 35 and my oldest child is 12. So in a few years I might really want their opinions. It doesn't mean they know what it's like to parent a teen, I know I don't, but it's also been a long time since I was a teen. "Older" moms may remember what it was like when they were teens, but as someone who works in a highschool, I know things have changed. Simple things like cell phone issues, cyber bullying - those weren't things I worried about as a teen, because no one had cell phones or the internet, but my kids will face those issues, and hearing from "young" moms who faced them will give me some valuable insight into my kids perspective.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• So basically you want info on how to strong arm you child instead of treating them with respect and dignity. You sound like an awesome mom! pheff!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If I wanted advice on dealing with my 17 year old, I would want advice from both sides of the fence.  I would consider myself better informed that way.

I see far too many moms trying to control every aspect of their teens lives and then wonder why they are having problems with their teen.  The teen years are a journey of self discovery and they need the freedom to make some of their own decisions within reasonable boundaries.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I certainly wouldn't take ANY parenting advice from a teen mom who obviously didn't have good parenting themselves!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree anon :25. I don't want advice from someone without the sense to "if you play,you pay" and use birth control.This thing with being buddies with your teen is part of the reason why girls are getting pregnant earlier and earlier. When I was a teen in the 80's,it wasn't acceptable to be pregnant while in high school,now you're seeing girls pregnant in MIDDLE school for crying out loud! I say you be as strict as you see fit. At least you're keeping them safe until they are legally an adult. Maybe a strict household will make them want to move out at a reasonable time instead of being a loser til they're 30 living with you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think that I can learn from the mistakes made by teen mothers. I hope that they become advocates for safe sex.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Most teen moms i see on here aren't sorry for getting pregnant,so how can they teach us?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2010