What do you think your child should learn in school?

My son's lesson was about oral sex and anal sex. He is in 6th grade. Why is this being taught in school?

What happened to language arts, math , science and reading? Teach that and let them learn other things later on their own! Sex education (explaining the science of the body) is one thing. Teaching HOW to have sex is innappropriate!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Should have had a waiver.
    Im all for sex ed but the basics not the various types of sexual contact and how to's,etc. THAT would tick me off.

If I cant discuss those things with my child then Im a stinky mom. I dont care if they are sexually active earlier, its still MY job to teach those things in detail. And its MY job to ok those kinds of specific lessons, if Im not allowed to have a say then someone is getting an earful.

And my husband is equally ticked hearing this question and he never gets ticked about those kinds of things and is usually more open then I am about it LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Did you not have to sign a waiver for him to participate in sex ed?
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 2:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Nope. And Sex Ed in my opinion is teaching the SCIENCE of life. Which is what it used to be. It is a whole new ball game now. :( I am PISSED.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• In that case, I would be pissed as well. It is part of Sex Ed to teach different types of sex, such as oral and anal, because sadly a lot of teens these days don't consider it "sex" if it is not vaginal. There for they do not think they need to use condoms, because obviously you can not get pregnant from either of those, but as we know, you can however contract an STD. Sooo, If I was in your shoes, I would be contacting the school director and figure things out. I do believe in sexual education in school, however I would definitely like to be made aware of when and what my child is learning; so I can be prepared to discuss things he/she may not understand from class. Good luck with this one mama!
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 2:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• gavinsmimmii brings up good reasons why those subjects would be talked about in the sex ed part of school, but you should have had to sign a waiver or something I think. i would at least go to the school and find out what is going on.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i had a teacher in the 7th grade that talked about these things. she told us that she talked about the nitty gritty of sex because she truly believed that some kids needed a safe place to learn and discuss such things. she also told us that she was overstepping her grounds and could easily be fired for covering that kind of material in health class.
    as far as i know, she was never fired.
    i do not want my kids to grow up!!!!
    how did your son handle it?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Ahhhh, another reason for me to continue homeschooling.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Well call the school and complain, not ask here what should be taught in schools.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• OP: Since he has serious social integration issues, he did not handle the information well. :( I think now he is more confused then ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• You can opt out of sex ed.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2010