Do you have a lot of organic products in your kitchen and bathroom?

I really try to make the right purchases, especially with dairy and meat, but I'm having a hard time handling the expenses of these products. How do you balance buying healthy foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• dairy & meat are THE MOST IMPORTANT things you can purchase organically. When animals are overtreated w/ anti biotics (whether they're sick or not), given growth hormones, etc it all turns into the meat. The milk of an animal is where the majority of the hormones get dumped so dairy is important too. There's a couple of really great green groups here if you want to learn more, I make my own household cleaners now & it costs pennies! Green Organic Natural Simple Living & Organic, Natural & Healthy Lifestyle Discussions are 2 of my favs, have learned ALOT!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I really don't buy a lot of organic beauty products. I do try and buy the "earth friendly" cleaning supplies. I don't eat meat or dairy so that saves a lot of money in groceries.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i can't afford organic meats, but when we can we will. we don't do dairy. we do all natural when we can't do organic. sometimes we can buy a grass fed cow. most of my cleaning is with vinegar and water or baking soda and water. we use burt's bees shampoo, we use it as a body wash and shampoo. if you use it conservatively it will last. we use burt's bees lotion too. there is no point in going into debt to afford all organic. good health is about living your life in balance. if you eat well, but suffer financially to do so could create more stress and damage to your overall health.
    good job doing better for you and your family!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No, I buy the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on.

Answer by louise2 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I make my own natural organic cleaning products. It's much cheaper, you can also check into buying your meat right from an organic farm. I get mine thru one and it's much cheaper as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Unfortunately, these items are completely unregulated. You can check the safety of body care products and their ingredients here: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice) 

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I alternate between organic milk & unorganic. I do have organic dish soaps and cleaners. I buy organic veggies when they are on sale. Luckily, i have plenty of organic veggies from my garden, so summer & fall veggies are always organic.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Use as little as possible. For cleaning I use water, baking soda, vinegar and lemon. I use soapnuts or eco balls for my washing with some lavendar oil. I don't use shampoo anymore and have a organic soap that lasts forever.

For food I buy most things organic but will buy non-organic if its local fruits and vegetables. I also grow my own and forrage in summer/autumn. I don't eat meat or dairy.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Sidenote - when I have used organic shampoos and conditioners despite their upfront cost they work out a lot cheaper than conventional products because they last so much longer.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• When it comes to that, I can usually find the things at other places which are just as good. I found so many things at the natural health food stores that were loaded with sugar, that's the thing I try to avoid. As far as hair care stuff, I buy normal stuff. Cleaning, I only use alcohol and bleach. It's so expensive to shop at the natural health places.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2010