Is a landlord obligated to tell you if the house you're renting from has a serious problem of parvo?

My DH and I rented a house starting October 2008, and our dog ended up having puppies about a month and a half ago. They were scheduled for their parvo vaccines along with a few others at their 8 weeks mark... but only one made it there, from a litter of 6.
I'm absolutely devestated. We decided to keep the one puppy that made it through, because of her now serious health issues, and I just feel so terrible and guilty.
My landlord KNEW my dog was pregnant, he even pet her, loved on her... never mentioned about parvo. We never knew because our 2 dogs are all current. When he asked about the puppies, and how they were doing, we told him. His response.
"Oh yeah. This house has a serious parvo case. It started back a few years ago from my last renters. Then, then next renters' dog had parvo and died too. I guess you're the third. Ha-ha."
I wanted to punch him. I still do.
Is there something that can be done?

ManicMomma02

Asked by ManicMomma02 at 2:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Pets

• It's his word against yours. Why were you having puppies in an apartment? Are you a registered breeder?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No, I'm not a breeder... and I said I was renting a house, not an apartment.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Well you shouldn't breed if you are not registered. There are so many unwanted pets out there and you are just making the problem worse by having more puppies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Why would you assume she was having puppies in an apartment? She said the HOUSE has a serious case of parvo. And it really isn't any of your business why she was letting her dog have puppies. OP I'm sorry you lost your puppies, that must have been devastating! I'm pretty sure it would be his word against yours as well though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Thanks, anon.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Well, I work in a shelter and we euthanize animals(mostly dogs and puppies) on a daily basis because uneducated breeders are giving life. Or ignorant pet owners are not fixing their animals. This is a very sensitive topic for me. OP just sue him and see where it takes you, but please get your dog spayed!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I guess I don't get it. How would a house have a case of parvo? Does it stay in carpet or something?

I know I wasn't allowed to pet a puppy one time because it had parvo and I was told it could be passed to humans. I think he's obligated to tell you if the house has a hazard in it. Like if it was infested with bugs or something. And in that case it shouldn't be rented until the problem is fixed.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yes, Sara, parvo can .. "stick" to a house for years. Carpet, walls, etc.

And Anon, I do realize it's a sensitive topic, because it's one for me as well. I've volunteered at no-kill animal shelters AND "kill shelters" since I was 15 years old. I'm just a little unnerved and incredibly upset watching little puppies die in horrid ways, and I don't really need a lecture... She WAS going to be spayed... and long story short, she ended up pregnant. We were even going to spay/abort her, but decided that that's even worse. Since she's a popular cattle breed, my friends were going to adopt and raise those pups to be farm dogs and help out on their farm. Now, I kind of DO wish we would've spayed/aborted her.
    I'm not ignorant.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 3:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Parvo is actually very hard to kill... You have to bleach everything and/or just burn it, because sometimes bleach does not kill everything. For your yard you need to use Shacklee Basic G. It kills the Parvo and it's all natural, so it doesn't harm the ground or grass. You need to bleach everything in a 1:30 part bleach to water mixture. Wash all floors, furniture and concrete. (IE porches, side walk things of that nature). Once everything is bleached and burned, the Parvo virus should be killed off. But please don't bring another puppy into your home or yard for at least 6 months to a year. Also to disinfect your clothing from parvo bleach everything that you can bleach, then with colored clothes you can use 1 cap full of bleach (the one that comes on the bottle) and you can use distilled vinegar to disinfect them completely
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Under most conditions land lords are not obligated to tell you if the place has had a Parvo outbreak or no, as most would not even know or realize the dangers of it. They are required to tell you about any lead paint, to warn you about lead paint, and let you know if any flooding had been done to the place you are signing your lease on. Other states and counties might have different things, but they don't tell you if someone previously living in your new place had AIDS or not, they're sure as heck not gonna tell you about Parvo.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010