my sons heart beat is always fast

my 6 year old sons heart beats really fast and hard all the time even if hes sat down and has been for a while, im not sure if this is any thing 2 worry about or not ? thanx

emma19831

Asked by emma19831 at 6:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• little ones do have faster heart beats.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• A child's NORMAL resting heart beat is around 100 beats per minute for a child under age 12 (an infant upwards of 120 bpm, and an adult around 70 bpm--beats per minute slow as they get older as their hearts become bigger, stronger, and more efficient). Of course if you are concerned you should take your child to see his pediatrician. Unless he is excessively sweaty and having difficulty breathing even after resting for more than a half hour, I wouldn't be concerned, but I would monitor him closely.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I think if you are concerned about something as serious as his heart you should go see his doctor.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• How fast is it going? If you have a stethoscope or can get one, listen to his heart for ten seconds, and count the beats making sure to count every other one. Write it down and do it two more times in a minute, find the average of the three numbers, and multiply that number by 6. That will tell you how many beats per minute. Anything over 200 is cause for concern. If you put your hand on his chest, and it feels like a hum, that is also a sign that it's going too fast. It's really hard to count w/your hand. You can also count by the pulse on his wrist or neck if you can find it. I always had a hard time w/that one on Ki because she is wiggly. If you can't count it, but it feels really fast, you need to talk to the doctor. Fast heart rate is very serious if it's too fast. Kiwi was born w/WPW, a heart condition that made it beat too fast and a lot of times it goes undiagnosed and causes heart attacks in kids as young as 12.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• my grandson had an anxiety attack during a sparing contest at Boxing since he has asthma it sounded as if he was having an asthma attack but he said he didnt need the inhaler. Since then whenever he runs or moves quickly his heart beats fast and he has to stop to breath normally then it goes away I taught him how to slow his heart rate down when that happens, sometimes he can just lay down after eating and his heart would beat fast until he does the breathing technic I taught him. I did make an appointment with his pediatrician but I am still concerned. He runs and plays when that happens he stops breaths and goes back to playing.
    Mimacheri

Answer by Mimacheri at 9:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2013