I don't wont my 18 teen year to go to work.Fighting with husband HELP!!!!

She got a full scholarship to a great 4 year college.Graduated with top presidential awards and does a lot of Community service. The husband feels she should work this summer.I am fighting over this all the time.please help.P S We paid over 130 thousand for my oldest ones college I fell she should injoy the summer .I don't wont her to work she has to keep a 3.8 gpa in college to keep her scholarship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• maybe you can explain why you don't want her to work?? I don't think she shouls be doing a 9-5, 6 days a week, but a few hours a week won't hurt, will put some money in her pocket for her social life and will prepare her for the idea that this is what adults do. I don't really understand your protest. I was an excellent student and could have studies anything I chose ( scholarships aren't a big thing here in Australia) - I chose to work for year, before I went back to study, and that working was the best thing ever as I understood how hard my Dad had to work to put me through the uni degree.
    Good Luck - this is not worth arguing and disrupting your marriage over - both you and your DH need to give a little and meet in the middle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• LOL sorry for typos - am typing in bed in the semi-dark - apologies LOL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• WE are from BROOKLYN N.Y. Its not easy to get a full one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Sorry, I agree with your husband. If she can find a summer job, she should work during the summer.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• WHY !!!!!!! SHE SAVED US A LOT OF MONEY.JUST REMEMBER MY OLDEST COLLEGE COST US 130 THOUSAND ..I SAY BEACH RELAX AND HAVE FUN THIS SUMMER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• i'm young... i fully agree with your husband... she may have saved you guys a buttload of money, but i think you may be doing her a disservice by not having her work... have you even asked her if she wants to work? she can go all through college, not work a singe day, and then get out and have NO clue about what it takes to run a household. you can still do fun things while working... people do get days off....
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Your DH is right for her to be getting a job. She needs to start learning how to be grown, sense she is grown. If she is not in school for the summer she needs to be working. Truthfully she needs to be working during school too.

Answer by louise2 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I understand they aren't easy to get , but that doesn't have any effect on her summer- it sounds like ( I am sorry to say) you are resenting the first childs college cost and you are trying to keep the money spent even - what you might like to think about is that education is a priveledge and not a financial amount. If your daughter had her heart set on beauty school (in spite of a brilliant mind) and got a scholarship to the local community college studying beauty, would you be arguing so hard?? Each school has a different cost, just because she is lucky enough to have earnt a scholarship, partly due to hard work, and partly due to good luck in the intelligence dept., doesn't mean she should get a free ride for the summer. Did your older child not work and that is why you feel this child shouldn't work??
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree with hubby too. She's not a kid anymore and she will have tons of expenses when she goes to college.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My daughter STUDY!!!! STUDY!!!!! STUDY to get great marks in H.S. she would not have done good like that if she was working.Mybe it comes easy for some kids not for mine.P.S.thats why some kids don't do good in school because mom and dad make them WORK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2010