Do you have a chinchilla?

My dd has been wanting a chinchilla. She saw a picture of one and thinks they are soooo cute. LOL. I don't know anything about them. I think we may try to get one sometime. When both kids are older. Right now though I want to learn more about them. I am going to research but I also want to know from any moms on here who have or have had one.

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Pets

• My friend had them so I would hear a lot about them from her. They breed like rabbits so be careful on the genders you get. They are a small critter and from what I understand care is much like rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. They hang out in a cage, you can let them out for exercise, and spaying/neutering is not really an option.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My son has been wanting a chincilla (thanks, Diego!) for some time now. We don't have one yet, but there is a petting farm close by that has one. One of their animals has to have special permit (for Georgia) and I was thinking it was the chincilla, but I could be wrong. Here is a website that gives more info about them. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/chinchillas/p/Chinchillas.htm

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• They make alot of messes because they "bathe' in dust that you have to buy.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My best friend has had two (one at a time!) She keeps him in a cage, but does have one of those hamster balls to take him out and let him run around the house. I believe he eats alfalfa, likes to chew on boxes (like cereal boxes) and drinks water from a bottle. He's cute, soft, and fluffy, but I don't want one. I think they are WAY more expensive than hamsters or gerbils.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I have had chinchillas but ended up having to get rid of them because my cat was allergic. That cat has since passed away & I want to get another when my kids are older.
    They are awesome pets! Yes, you have to let them take a bath once or twice a week, but I used a big bowl & did it on the porch or he bathtub if it was too cold. You simply put them in & then watch - it is so cute! Check out videos on youtube. They eat chinchilla food you can buy at a pet store, as well as veggies. They are very social but I'd suggest waiting until your children are at least 5-6 because they are pretty small & fragile.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Chinchillas are more difficult than many other pets, so they're not really recommended as "starter" pets. I would definitely do a lot of reading up about them before you decide to take the plunge, as they may not be good for your household. I have a friend who has several chinchillas, and she also has 4 kids. It's not really a good situation and the chinchillas require a lot of upkeep. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2010