My baby's heart rate... Is it too low?

When I went to the ob last week they said his heart rate was in the 120's... That sounds awefully low to me but the dr said it was fine... I am 36 weeks pregnant and throughout this pregnancy it has been around the 160's... My last pregnancy had to be induced because his heartrate kept dropping, found out his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck... Do you think that is a very low heartrate?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, my son's was like that when he wasn't moving around a lot. The Dr told me that babies are like adults, when they are active, the heart beat is faster and when sleeping it's slower. Also, it's pretty common for the cord to be around the neck. 1 in 3 babies have the cord around the neck. It's usually not a problem though.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That's about what Kiwi's was throughout the pregnancy, between 120-130. If the doctor says it's fine, it probably is.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That's fine. The heart rate is always faster earlier in pregnancy. At 36 weeks they would have intervened if they were worried. I had both my kids at 35 weeks so this far along they wouldn't think twice if there was concern for baby's safety to do a c-section. Try not to worry. And early congrats!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That is a fine heart rate. My kiddos heart rates always began to slow around 35 weeks. As long as your baby is still moving fine, I wouldn't worry too much.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• It's fine. Usually the heart rate is between 120 and 180, and it varies based on sleeping/awake and activity patterns. The heart rate is faster in early pregnancy and slows down as the baby grows. Having the umbilical cord around the neck is also not uncommon- about 30% of births according to my doctor. One of mine had the cord around her neck and was a normal, easy vaginal delivery. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I'm 34 weeks and going in every week for NSTs. When my baby isn't moving, her heart rate is in the 120s and the OBs think that's great - as long as it goes up when she moves around.

Answer by missanc at 11:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• yep just went thursday I am 32 weeks an my baby is 125 and when she moved it jumped to 135 so its fine! i asked the same question!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 12:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2010