What is the best way (or product) to cool a room if there is no air conditioner?

Our air conditioner went out and it will take approx. 3 weeks before our new one arrives (it had to be special ordered), and probably another week after that before the guy can install it. Right now, we have fans, which works great in the early morning, late evening, but during mid-day, it is HOT! (we live in the south). We can't use a window air conditioner because of the way our windows are designed, but I have seen portable air conditioners. Do they work? Are they worth the money? Any other ideas/suggestions/tips? Thanks in Advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I know it's goes against every principle that seem logical, but I've read that if you can get your house to cool down with the evening air that it's best to close up your house in the morning to try to "trap in" that cool air as long as possible. The other thing that is helpful to close the blinds and curtains. You want to stop the sun from shining in. The other thing you can do is in the heat of the day go out to the local library, window shop at the mall, or just walk around a store. You don't have to spend money, just go some place that has "air conditioning" to help beat the heat. Also the heat of the day might be a good time to turn the on sprinklers and do some water play. Just 30 minutes in the water could really help. There is also sporting the damp t-shirt look. soaking the t-shirt in cool water and ringing it out so it's no longer dripping wet. Drink lots of cool water too!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I bought a portable air conditioner ($400) and I hated it. It made a lot of noise and it never really got cool in the room. It was for my office and it's a very small space.

I may have just had a bad experience with it so hopefully you get more positive answers!

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• We don't have a/c at our house. We have an attic fan, lots of open windows and ceiling fans. We keep the shades down during the day.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• rkoloms- Do you have attic fan or a whole house fan? Sometimes whole house fans are confused with attic fans. We have a whole house fan and only run it at night or when temperature outside is 80 and below. We have an central air as well, but the unit broke 2 summers ago and we don't have the money to fix it. So we've done without! The tips above is what we primarly do to beat the heat. Although I haven't brought myself to actually shut the windows. I've read enough to understand the principle behind it, and it does make sense, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I do close the blinds and the curtains. DH doesn't like it as much because the house seems "dark". However it's what helps keep the inside temps down.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Oh honey, I feel for you. It seems we have bad luck with our AC too. I cross my fingers every summer! lol Since you are in the south, like us, the only thing I found to help the most was to wet our shirts and hair. Wet your bra or bathing suit top too!! Eat lots of popscicles.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Like SAHM said, open everything wide overnight, get the cool air in, and in the middle of the morning, before it starts heating up, close everything. The more light you can keep out the better. Don't have lights on, don't use the stove, dishwasher, washer, dryer, or any electronics that give off much heat. The less moisture you introduce into the air the better - humidity is worse than heat, so keep it dry. Fans for air movement. Little & light clothing. Cook drinks.
    Anonymous