How you ever felt embarrassed for disciplining your children?

A mother and her 4 year old go to the mall to spend a JC Penney gift card. As they enter the food court the mother realizes that she has forgotten to bring cash. The mother tries to explain but the 4 year old keeps yelling and demanding his favorite treat. A men offers $5 dollars to make the child stop crying. Mother says "no thanks!".
Would you have accepted the money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. My sons have, however, been embarrassed by their actions in public before. Once, in 2004, we were out shopping for school supplies. My children (then 16, 14 & 12) wanted Trapper Keepers. We were on a strict back to school budget and they were not in our budget at $10 a pop. Hubby & I told them no, they kept nagging about them, I told them we were leaving and left the cart and was walking with them down the aisle and a woman came up to us, told my sons that she was sorry that their parents couldn't provide for their children and handed them each a $20 bill. My 16yo son grabbed the money from his brothers, handed it back to the lady and pretty much told her off for talking bad about us. My sons then apologized to us for being brats and that incident stuck in their minds. They always watched how they behaved in public because that woman giving them that money embarrassed them. They realized how bad they'd made us look.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No we'd be leaving if my child threw a tantrum in public.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No,I would not have.That would be rewarding bad behavior and we don't do that!
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My child knows better than to throw a tantrum in public and she is only 2. I wouldn't have taken the money and we would have left.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Kiwi doesn't throw tantrums, but on the off chance she got a bug up her ass and tried, we'd just leave.
    Someone did the same thing in the gas station w/my sister when she threw a fit for some candy. She was 4 at the time and I only took the money in to prepay for the gas. She asked for candy, I said no, she threw herself down on the floor SCREAMING "why are you so poor you can't buy me candy?". A man offered her a dollar to get some candy and she tried taking it but I said "no thanks, even if I had the money to get her the candy, after that little fit, not happening". I understood he was trying to help and meant well, but it just caused problems w/her.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No. I would have put that child over my shoulder and carried her out to the car. I never gave into my children and I did discipline them in public all the time. Never did anyone say anything bad to me. One time, a man, said, "Wow, you handled that well".
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yup, but I wouldn't spend it on the child. Free money, yay! Usually my daughter gets a warning then a 3 count, if she's still fussing I'll leave or it's off to the bathroom.
    Spottychan

Answer by Spottychan at 10:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• No. That would enable the child. She has to be taught coping skills. So many children now don't take "no" very well. That's doing these kids a disservice. They need to know they can't have everything they want when they want it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Nope. My daughter knows that if I say "no, not today" for any reason, she is to just to say, "Okay," in her most dejected voice and continue on with me. She actually always says, "Okay," in her most dejected voice, even if it's something she's actually happy about. She's funny like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2010