Ok, this is a stupid question. Are mosquitos attracted to anemic blood more so than regular blood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Health

• I feel like they are b/c I'm anemic and I get bit all the freakin' time and my DH never gets bit!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I've never heard that before. Maybe. They always seem to zero in on me even when I'm bathed in bug spray and skip right over my husband and daughter.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Several studies have shown that mosquitoes are more attracted to Type O blood than any of the other blood types.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I always thought it was the opposite. I'm anemic and hardly ever get bit while everyone else is getting eaten up.

Answer by missanc at 11:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Why mosquitoes are attracted to you: Scientists still don’t fully understand the subtle chemistry of what attracts mosquitoes to humans. However, entomologists are certain that the following are mosquito attractants:
    Carbon dioxide and other chemicals in the breath that you exhale
    Chemicals your body emits
    Body heat
    Visual cues such as color, size and contrast
    Movement

http://wowshopper.com/mosquito-trap/service-product-about-mosquitos.htm
    Anonymous

• Mosquitoes are attracted to certain people because of scent. The main scent they are attracted to is a natural one that is different for every person. Some people have a natural scent that is very attractive to mosquitoes, while others have a scent that does not attract mosquitoes or only has a mild attraction.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4571793_why-mosquitoes-attracted-certain-people.html

Anonymous

• "Mosquitoes are attracted to certain people because of scent. The main scent they are attracted to is a natural one that is different for every person. Some people have a natural scent that is very attractive to mosquitoes, while others have a scent that does not attract mosquitoes or only has a mild attraction."

Sounds like I need to cuddle up to Hubby and Kiwi a little more and get some of their scent!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I believe so because my DH was attacked a month ago and not me.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010