Have You Ever Had A Body Wave Done In Your Hair?

I have long hair....about 3 or 4 inches past my shoulders. It is naturally EXTREMELY straight. I like it , except for the fact that living here in Southeast Texas, where you can practically swim in the humidity, my hair gets so flat. No products work to help give it body. So, I was reading up on doing a body wave (not a perm because I dont want it THAT curly....I just want some umph to it). Have any of you with long hair ever done this? How did it turn out for you??

momofamonkey83

Asked by momofamonkey83 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I had them for years when I had long hair. They were great.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I *love* piggyback body waves. From the root to about halfway down the shaft is rolled on one size, then the ends are rolled on a slightly smaller roller. Man, did I dig my hair when I was having those done. I'm growing it out now and that's one of the reasons why. I want my 'goddess hair'(one of my customers in the restaurant I worked in dubbed it that) back.

The only thing to consider is if you get bored, or decided you don't want it anymore for some reason, growing them out is a total pita. A pretty reasonable option is a triple barrel curling iron. They put the same kind of wave in, it just washes out and no grow-out period. It's a little bit time consuming, but you only have to do it every couple days if you use a shower cap. Longer if you get a dry shampoo.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Adding on...

I always used my iron in the evening before bed. It was when I had the most time, and I actually preferred the way the wave looked after I'd slept on it a night or two. It relaxed a bit and was a softer look.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• A "body wave" IS a perm, just a little fyi.
    Anonymous

• I understand it's a perm, but when I say perm, I mean the super tight, kinky curls that some people have. I don't want that. I want big, loose curls with lots of body. My hair doesn't hold curl from a curling iron (unless it's winter time and freezing cold outside, which is hardly ever where I live).
    momofamonkey83

Answer by momofamonkey83 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• A body wave is a perm. The amount of curl you get depends on the size rods used. The longer your hair the more difficult it is to keep any curl because the weight of the hair pulls the curl out. Living where it is humid makes both natural curl and permed hair frizz.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I just looked at your profile pic. Is the color natural or bleached? I ask because if it is highlighted or bleached I would never ever put a wave in it. I have seen hair melt off from perm rods too many times to take that chance.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well, my color is now solid brown. I have been coloring my hair since Jr. High. So, no more bleached hair right now. I bought the biggest sized rollers that Sally's Beauty Supply had. They are 1-3/8" inch I do believe. So, I am hoping for big, loose curls with those sized rods.
    momofamonkey83

Comment by momofamonkey83 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010