Have you ever heard of a child being baptized in a river?

I heard a few people from Mexico talk about this. This is how Jesus was baptized. I think I like the idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• They used to do it all the time. I grew up watching them baptize in the river.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• That is how our church does baptisms. One of the church members owns a farm that has a rather large creek that runs through it. About twice a year (once in early summer and another time in late summer/early fall), they will do the baptisms in the deeper part of the creek. My husband was baptised this way a few years ago. He said that he really enjoyed it being in the creek, but it was VERY cold!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My husband's denomination always does their baptisms in natural bodies of water because it is how baptisms were traditionally performed. They also don't perform baptisms until the person is old enough to profess their own faith (usually in mid to late teens, though my husband is 26 and hasn't actually been baptized yet).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Yep. We are all rivers here, so many of the "mixed" families I know do a baptizing/paganing all in one. They tend to do them on the beach so most of them are done with river water... Blessed river water of course...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I have seen it done. I think it is cool and I like it better then when I was a child
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Sounds vintage. I love it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My grandmother's Baptist church in Arkansas was too small to have an adult sized baptistry, so we would walk the path down to the creek and get dunked. The water was full of fish and crawdads and they scared me, but I did go in few times. I was about 6 yrs. old. It's colder than a church baptistry (I was put under in one of these and it was full of warm water and shaped almost like a bathtub). The Nazarene church had a baptism of the adults in a catfish pond owned by one of the congregation. It's done quite a lot.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2010