Yuck... Thrush

My sister says my 3wk old dd has thrush cause her toung is white.
I didnt know what it looked like cause my older two never got it.
Is there an over the counter something i can get her untill i get her to the dr tomorrow?
It looks like it got worse over night. Shes not fussy and is eatting her normal amount.
I feel bad that she has this but my sister says its pretty commin in infants.
And i have seen my 18m old sneek drinks from the babys bottle, can she catch it this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes your child can get it from contact with the bottle. Tell your sister to get Lamasil AF cream or the generic to put on her nipples if she is nursing. This will keep her from getting it but she will need to wipe off before feeding. As for the baby, they will perscribe a med for it (usually tastes horrible)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• no she needs a doc to give antibiotics, it's be oral drops. my son had it but my daughter didn't. and that's b/c i wiped her mouth and tongue after each feeding. my son, well i was 16 when i had him so i depended alot on my mother to tell me what is what
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• There is something called Nystatin that is a prescription, but she should be able to find gentian violet OTC (she will probably have to ask at the pharmacy counter for it). I've never dealt with it, but my sister and her sone both had it and were in terrible pain every time they nursed. With the scrip and the gentian violet, they had it cleared up in about a week. She also ate tons of yogurt to help fight it off.
    To stop spreading it from mom to baby and back again, everything that touches the breasts or the baby's mouth - all botles, toys & pacifiers - should be washed thoroughly (boiled if possible), and breastpads should be changed at every feeding. A toddler or older child can get it from sucking on the same toys or bottle nipples, and husbands can even get it from wives depending on their sex life and how persistent the thrush is.
    Anonymous

• my 8 week old just got over it. it really is not a big deal and it is common. tell her to make an appt, there is no rush if baby seems fine and is eatting. she got some oral drops and a week later was fine. have the doc look at his bum too. cause it can spread down there as well.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• My daughter had it when she was a baby. She got nystatin oinment (for the yeast diaper rash) AND oral, for the thrush. Works like a charm.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• If your baby isn't uncomfortable there's no need to do anything about it. She could also just have "milk tongue". My DD has had a white tongue since day one and has no issues. It's just milk fat. If your baby does have thrush, your older child can get it from sharing bottles. Make sure you sterilize all pacifiers and bottle nipples everyday while doing treatment or your baby will just keep getting it from the bottles/pacis. If you are breastfeeding you should treat yourself too. Nystatin doesn't work well for thrush unless it's an easy case. The best treatment is Gentian Violet. You can get it from any pharmacy (non-rx) or health food store.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2010